Tuesday, August 25, 2026

The Car Wash

 Life Through a Car Wash


Today, of all places, I found myself thinking about life while sitting in a car wash.


I had driven up onto that little ramp—which, by the way, always makes me a tiny bit nervous. You have to get your tires lined up just right, put the car in neutral, take your hands off the wheel, and trust that something you cannot control is going to carry you forward.


And maybe that was my first lesson. ❤️


Sometimes life asks us to let go of the wheel.


As my car began moving through the wash, I watched my windshield change right before my eyes.





First came the soap. Bright red covered the glass, and then suddenly it was blue. Colors swirled together until I could barely see what was in front of me.





Then came those huge blue brushes, beating and spinning against the windshield. For a few seconds, everything outside disappeared. It was dark, noisy, confusing, and even a little intimidating.


And I thought…


Isn’t that just like life?


There are seasons when everything is colorful and beautiful. Life feels good, the sun is shining, the people we love are near, and we can clearly see the road ahead.


Then, sometimes without warning, everything changes.


Something comes crashing against our world. We receive news we weren’t expecting. We lose someone we love. Plans change. Our hearts hurt. Fear creeps in. Suddenly, we can’t see very far ahead.


There are times when life feels a little like being inside that car wash—noisy, dark, messy, and completely out of our control.


But then came the water.




It poured over the windshield like heavy rain, washing away all those colors and all that soap. For another moment, my view was distorted. But little by little, the windshield became clearer.


And finally…


I could see again.



The darkness hadn’t lasted.
The pounding hadn’t lasted.

The confusion hadn’t lasted.


And neither do many of the difficult seasons of our lives.


Sometimes we have to travel through the darkness before we can appreciate the light. Sometimes we have to experience the rain before we notice how beautiful everything looks when the sun comes back out.


And sometimes we simply have to trust the One who knows where this journey is taking us.


I couldn’t steer my car through that wash. I couldn’t hurry it along. I couldn’t skip the dark part and go straight to the sunshine.


All I could do was trust the process and keep moving forward.


Maybe that’s something I needed to be reminded of today.


We aren’t promised a life without scary ramps, dark places, pounding storms, or moments when we can’t see what is ahead.


But we are promised that we don’t have to travel through them alone.


“When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.” — Psalm 56:3


So, if you’re in one of life’s darker places right now, remember this:


The windshield will not always look the way it does in this moment.


The rain will come. The washing will happen. The darkness will lift.


And one day, perhaps when you least expect it, you’ll look up and realize…


Hey....I can see the light again.


Who knew God could tuck a little life lesson inside something as ordinary as a trip through the car wash? ❤️


I made it out safely ✓  My Car is clean ✓  The Lord spoke to me through this short ride ✓


🤣  😂. I went to wash my car in hopes that it would rain!!  This is usually what happens...but today, No rain!!


Y'all Enjoy Your Day...


Shug....



26 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have taken the same pics in a car wash!!! But never ever thought of such a wonderful devotional to describe it!!! Trust and move forward, the darkness will lift. Wonderful.

Ann said...

I don't know how many times I have taken pictures like that while going through a car wash. I've never had the same thoughts but you are so right. Thank you for pointing out the lesson

Dianna said...

Dear Shug, you have such an amazing way of seeing life's lessons and making them teachable moments, not just for yourself, but for others as well. Thank you for sharing what you saw about life as you went through the car wash. You are such a writer! xx

Kim Carberry said...

You have such a great way with words and an amazing way of looking at the world. I never even thought of comparing life to a carwash but it is very like that.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I love this life lesson you've provided for all of us here, Shug. A while back, I had the same experience going through a car wash with Danny, but you beat me to the punch in writing about it. Perfect life advice for all of us. Blessings!

Changes in the wind said...

Thank you Shug for sharing God's touch on you through the carwash with us:)

Kathy G said...

What a wonderful metaphor! I shall share it with several people.

Mari said...

Shug, you have a real gift in seeing lessons from God in your day today like. Thank you for sharing them with us!

Cheerful Monk said...

Great analogy and post!

Chatty Crone said...

I love this analogy. Perfect.

Carla from The River said...

Thank you Shug, I needed this today.
xo

Carla from The River said...

Thank You Shug!! I needed this today.
xo

jabblog said...

The car wash is a wonderful analogy for life.

Anne in the kitchen said...

What a wonderful post. IT came right when I needed it.

Henny Penny said...

Reading this I could just picture you going slowly through the car wash, watching the changes on the windshield, and your thoughts. What a neat story. What a neat little book this would make.

photowannabe said...

Stunning !!!
Amazing thoughts today Shug ...
The Lord has given you such talent and gift for hearing His thoughts and putting them down for all of us to take down deep inside of us.
THANK YOU !!
Sue

Barbara said...

This is a perfect analogy and I need it today. Thanks!

Michelle said...

You have a gift for finding lessons in life's most simple things!

Mevely317 said...

What a super way of expressing what I'm feeling every time I (dare to) visit a car wash. Really, I shouldn't be terrified. I may actually print this and put in my glove compartment. Thank you!

Red Rose Alley said...

Shug, I know what you mean. Sometimes the car washes are pleasing and unsettling at the same time. I just got one recently. When you first go through them, it's strange, cause I never put my car in neutral, and it's like you're going through some unknown experience. But it's always neat to see the rainbow of colors flow onto your car, and wash and clean and rinse. But I'm glad you got a picture of each step of the car wash, and your words are just beautiful. God knows all and everything.

I am reminded of the Jeremiah verse 29:11.

I'm glad your car is clean, Shug, and thank you for your dear post this morning.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, this was so good. Thank you, Shug. Yes, I can see how life is like a car wash...you did that analogy beautifully! Praying for you and Sam today. God is with you.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

What a lovely metaphor and so very true! Love how the Lord work sometimes. And here's hoping you get that much needed rain! 🙏🏻

Wanda said...

Oh what a lovely and great life lesson from the car wash...I have a car wash story I will share sometime on my blog that wasn't quite so inspirational!!! HaHa. For another time. It rained here for a very short time...was nice.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a wonderful analogy between the carwash experience and life. I agree with Michelle that you sure have the gift of being able to find lessons in life's most simple things. This would make a great devotional.

Linda said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeee this post, thanks, sure needed this. Wishing you a beautiful weekend. ☺

Great-Granny Grandma said...

P.S. I tried to read your post about Wednesday being a big day, but got a message that the page does not exist.

Dancing Light at Six Mile.

  The Light That Still Dances Across Six Mile There are places in Texas where stories do not fade with time. They linger in the dust of old ...