This is not just any ol’ light.
On Friday night, this light shined on 43 very special residents at BVT—and somehow, it seemed to shine a little brighter than most.
BVT is the home where my niece, Tammy, lives. It’s a home for adults with disabilities, but Friday night wasn’t about disabilities. It wasn’t about what someone could or couldn’t do.
Friday night was about TALENT. Courage. Joy. And having your moment in the spotlight. ❤️
They held their very own “Breckenridge Has Talent” show, and let me tell you, they definitely have talent!
One by one, the residents stepped into that beam of light and shared something special. There was music, laughter, applause, and plenty of moments that made your heart swell. Some may have been a little nervous, some a little shy—but when that spotlight found them, it was their time to shine.
And shine they did.
There were four judges, but you wouldn’t have found a Simon Cowell in the bunch. ๐ Every contestant received encouragement, praise, and the kind of positive reviews that made smiles stretch from ear to ear. There were no losers that night. Every single person who stepped onto that stage was already a winner.
And then came my Tammy. ❤️
She stepped into that light and sang “El Shaddai.” And yes, this aunt was proud.
But as I watched her—and all the others—I realized that beautiful beam of light represented something much bigger than a talent show.
For a few minutes, each person standing beneath it knew without question:
I am seen.
I am heard.
I am important.
And this is my moment.
Sometimes we spend so much time looking at what makes people different that we forget to notice all the wonderful things that make them extraordinary.
Friday night, there were 43 reminders.
Forty-three people with personalities, gifts, humor, courage, music in their hearts, and something worth sharing with the world.
So, no…this is not just any ol’ light.
It’s the light that shined on 43 stars at Breckenridge Has Talent. ๐
And judging by those smiles, I have a feeling the people sitting in the audience walked away shining a little brighter, too. I know that I did!!
Happy Sunday,
Shug....




23 comments:
That was a wonderful post, Shug. All those sweet people felt special the night of the show. They WERE and ARE special. I love to read about events like that! I hope your day today will be awesome Susan
This gives me goose pimples, Shug.
What a fabulous thing to have. Yes I believe everyone was Seen, Heard, Shone in their Moment and definitely were and are Important!
That's a wonderful song that Tammy chose to sing. My buttons would have been popping too.
(((hugs)))
Sue
How fun is that!!!!!!! My gosh you are a funster!
This is so awesome! What a great thing to do. I know everyone in that room was blessed!
You will have the strength to do it.
How wonderful that each participant was encouraged and felt valued. This sounds like an excellent facility.
What a spectacular idea! Oh, I wish I might have heard Tammy perform. Don't you wish every facility like hers could do something like that for their residents.
Your post gave me shivers.
What a special night that was for those 43 residents to shine! Thank you for sharing and your niece Tammy is beautiful.
Thank you for the update on Sam. Will be praying on Wednesday. xx
That is so wonderful! ❤️
Such an uplifting and inspiring moment not only for these folks, but for all of us with whom you've shared this night with Tammy, Shug. Thanks for making my evening blessed with such happy news, and may we always take the time to appreciate every child of God while we have breath.
What a wonderful moment for all these people giving their talents and sharing their voices. It's so nice you got to see your Tammy on stage having a fun time. Now, I'm curious, and going to look up the song, El Shaddai. Love the picture with the beam of light. Have a beautiful week ahead, Shug.
This is so wonderful. She looks so happy, and her dress is really pretty. From time to time, you have posted about her and this place, and I have always thought it is such a wonderful and rare place.
What a beautiful event. I can tell just by this post that it was an excellent show.
Such an uplifting and inspiring story, Shug, shining the light on these precious children of God. Thank you for letting us in on that beautiful night. Know I am praying for Sam and you, my friend. God bless!
Everyone needs their time in the light, to be recognised, not criticised or demeaned. Well done to all those performers - they will feel so much more confident now.
Shug, you are a beautiful writer and you bring a special light to your readers. It is so nice that your niece Tammy lives in a residence that appreciates and encourages their special needs residents. What a great talent show and great experience for Tammy and the other 42. I always love reading your posts... Thank you.
What a wonderful evening, it sounds like it was a lot of fun and everyone had their moment to shine.
What a wonderful event and a great reminder to us all to value all God's people. Thanks for sharing.
Awww!! How wonderful!! And I know you must have been SO proud of her!
Big hugs
Donna
I could not love this more dear Friend! I'm grinning ear to ear after reading this. Congrats to Tammy and the whole crew. ๐ What a beautiful show that represented so much more than just their individual talents. I love el shaddai - your niece picked a great song! Blessings xoxo
What a beautiful event! A happy time and so affirming. One of the themes that has continued to draw my attention in recent months has been the importance of validating people. We all need it, and some more than others. Thank you for sharing this happy occasion.
What an uplifting and inspiring post about the talent show and every contestant's moment to shine and be seen.
Sam's experience at the lung specialist sounds painful. I'm guessing the port will make it much easier--and more convenient if it can be done at home. You can do it! Continuing to pray for both of you.
Post a Comment