Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Text vs calls

So.... I did do this ↑↑↑ today.  I'm not finished yet.... I found this cute lighted, set of 3 pumpkins and I thought it was so adorable....   🎃🎃🎃

             

                ~~~~~~~


Phone calls may seem old fashioned, but they still have the ability to convey genuine emotions.  



Have you ever received a test message and wasn't quite sure how to decipher the tone of the person sending the text??

Sometimes a simple text message ends up leaving the recipient confused.  Am I detecting some anger or sarcasm? People try to look at a text message and assume good intentions, but sometimes there is just one or two words that can cultivate negative assumptions.  


One example of misinterpretation which I have experienced is the word 
Fine!

Was it meant as......... "Fine, have it your way".......OR..... "this is perfectly fine.  I like your idea."

I honestly prefer phone calls.  LoL..😂  the main reason is because I cannot text that well.
But seriously, I like real-time conversations.  I think phone calls allow us to convey emotions and sincerity in a way that texting can't.  

Same for sending person note cards.  I love sending cards and notes, simply because I love receiving them.  The effort that someone takes to write and mail a handwritten message is special.  

I know that texting is way more convenient, and I know that this is the world that we live in these days.  It's just that phone calls, even though they might seem old-fashioned, offer a level of sincerity and warmth that texts just can't match. 

By the way:   I still have EVERY single card and note that Sam and my kids have giving me.  I keep them all...      

I would love to call each of you and talk and talk on the phone.....Wow...wouldn't that be fun!!  

It's a Great day to smile! 😁

Shug






8 comments:

  1. I text the ones younger than us because...well...basically I have to! That is mostly all they do! Your mantle is lovely, everything is perfectly placed. Love the pumpkins and banner! I cannot wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I text only when necessary, mostly in family group chats it is easier to say it once instead of many times. I hate the phone and I would just as soon get rid of it! I love to send cards and notes...it is a lost art I fear:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh ya. I'll never forget, years ago at my former workplace I took offense (big time) to a text message from a middle manager. Turns out, he was/is a very succinct brusk sort who never intended any disrespect. Much to my hubby's dismay, I text with our kids -- only because their lives are so much busier and I don't want to phone at a bad time. I just have to remember and type very carefully, lest autocorrect sticks it's nose in my conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not like to talk on the phone, it always rings when i am doing something. I can spend two hours doing nothing and the minute i start something the phone rings. I love text and prefer it because if i want to answer i can or not. I had a friend that when her number came up on caller ID I thought oh no an hour or 2 and i don't want to talk. if i did not answer, she would call again.
    my son prefers text also, the other one doesn't text so we do the call thing but he has learned when NOT to call. he is a night owl and we are early birds and no one is to call me in the evenings after 7
    My mother used to drive me crazy, she would call and say put sweaters on the kids, its cold. I lived 6 blocks away, I KNEW it was cold. she would call me at work to tell me K=mart had a lamp on sale, MOTHER please don't call me at work unless its an emergency. her answer was I thought you could stop and get it on the way home from work.
    there are many who love to talk on the phone, and that is great as long as they don't want me to talk. I forgot about the truck driver friend I have, she and her husband drive together, he would go to sleep and she would call everyone she knew to talk herself accross the interstate, she would say, i have 300 miles to go and she wanted someone to talk to.. oops you may have hit my pet peeve. ha ha
    I read your post about If Walls could talk and We should all do silly things. great posts. i like silly things with friends. and I used to make my cousin laugh in church on purpose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I try to tell this to my daughter - because she will get a text and not know exactly what it means - so I will say call them. She hates to call. However, you never really know what the person means or feels. I guess it is good to do a quick thought or something. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to give and receive hand-written cards and notes, too. Texts are okay, but you are so right that they can be misconstrued if we don't know the person texting well enough. We try to FaceTime with our daughter and the grands at least once a week. It isn't a substitute for an in-person visit, but since we can't travel right now, it's the next best thing.
    Blessings, Shug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you completely. Calling is a more personal way of communicating for sure. I still have a landline, if you can believe that. And I love getting calls from my sister and brother and in-laws and family. I think it's wonderful that you still send note cards. I also love sending cards, and I appreciate receiving them too. Isn't it fun to get a surprise in the mail? This was such a lovely post today, Shug.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the most part, my family business is taken care of via text-mainly because young grandchildren keep their parents too busy to spend time on the phone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Waiting on a Dream

Waiting on a Dream to come true can sometimes be a very long wait.... Hopefully my niece's dream has finally happened.       I have talk...