Monday, April 19, 2010

How Ironic

To be content or to be discontented.  This was part of our Pastor's teaching this past Sunday. 

Webster defines content as satisfied with what one is or has, not wanting more or anything else.
The state or feeling of being contented.

Discontent is defined as a restless craving for what one does not have.  dissatisfied, not content.

How ironic that we need both contenment and discontentment in our everyday lives. 

To be content in this day and time is rare.  In today's time, our world is filled with an enormous amount of material things.  Advertisements are everywhere.  They are in our homes by ways of the tv, computers, magazines, and even our mail.  These ads are always leading us to believe that we need more.  Success is More. This is our way of thinking.  We have all heard the phrase (Keeping up with the Jones').  We don't only want to keep up with them, we want to have more than them and anybody else!  The best clothes, the best cars, boats, tires, the best house and furnishings, the best of everything....Always wanting what somebody else doesn't have.  The Best of everything is what we have our eyes on. 

Have you been to the Goodwill store lately....At one time, Goodwill stores were filled with items that wouldn't even sell at a garage sale.  Today you can find top name brand clothing if you are willing to be patient and look for it.   It used to be that when the seasons changed we packed away our winter or summer clothes until the next year.  A lot of people today do not spend that time packing them away, they just send them to Goodwill....I have a friend that finds all kinds of good things that are practically new and she will gladly tell you it came from Goodwill.

We also need discontentment in our lives as well.  We never need to take the people in our lives for granted.  Our goals should be to constantly look at ways to improve our character and to reach out and help those in need.  We need to never be content in serving the LORD.  We need to always seek ways to serve HIM and to have a greater walk with HIM.  To be discontent in your spirtual life means that you are in Love with GOD and you want more and more of HIM.  You want HIM to be the center of your life.  One of my favorite Hymns is:  "I'D RATHER HAVE JESUS"  what a beautiful song.  The question I have to ask myself is, Do I want to live my life as a person that is never content, always wanting more, or do I want to live my life like the lyrics to this song, I'd rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today?


                            ********************************************


I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I'd rather be led by His nail pierced hand.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin's dread sway,
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
this world affords today.

I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than world-wide fame,
I'd rather be true to His Holy name.

He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out of the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs,
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead.

Praise God for these words! 

Have a Blessed Day and thanks for letting me share my thoughts with you each day.......

1 comment:

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Sunday Thinking

  Happy St. Patricks Day!   🍀 Tomorrow, I will be filling my hummingbird feeders.  The little beauties should be arriving any day now.  I a...