Monday, August 17, 2026

Dog Days of Summer

I know I have talked a lot about the Texas heat this summer, but I thought I might add one more post about "The Dog Days of August" — Texas Style 🤠☀️





Bless our hearts… we have officially entered the dog days of August right here in Texas.  When I step outside it feels less like I'm just going outdoors or to the pool and more like I'm opening the oven door to check the biscuits. 😂





The grass is begging for mercy, and the cicadas are carrying on like they’re being paid by the decibel.  The pool has the kind of visitors that I don't really like to welcome..WASP and YELLOW-JACKETS.  They are thirsty and are in need of a drink.


By noon, the steering wheel is approximately 475 degrees, the seatbelt buckle is considered a branding iron, and nobody in their right mind is touching a black leather car seat wearing shorts.  Thank goodness that my car seats are not black....


Truthfully, we don’t ask, “Is it hot outside?”


We ask, “How bad is it?”....😳


My grand-dog "Lucy" looks at me like, “You  go ahead and go outside. I’ll hold the couch down.” 🐶




The sweet tea is flowing, the ceiling fans are working overtime, and the air conditioner has officially become the most respected member of the household. The thermostat stays on 72 and by the time the evening sun is straight above us, it is struggling to stay at 72. (I think it prefers the morning hours)


And the Texas humidity? Honey, you don’t walk through it—you wear it. Hairdos surrender. Somedays I just pull my hair up into a ponytail and thats it...Honestly, it's everyday during the summer.  Makeup waves the white flag. And any plans involving the words “outdoor activity” are immediately reconsidered or rescheduled.  


But somehow, we Texans survive it every year.


We complain about the heat, pray for rain, sit under the shade tree, swat mosquitoes big enough to have Social Security numbers, and remind ourselves that cooler days are coming.


Eventually.


Probably.


Maybe by Thanksgiving. 😂


August—when the sun is blazing, the tea is sweet, the AC is humming, and Texas is reminding us once again that she does absolutely nothing halfway.


Shug....  🥵


*The dog days usually span from July 3rd to August 11th ..... however, this year they have decided to stay a while longer...





17 comments:

Polly said...

I think our weather here in the UK has equalled yours over the past few weeks, and we're not properly equipped for it because in the past our summers have been a bit dismal. I used to love hot weather, but as I get older I can't tolerate it. Your family looks lovely, and your daughters are beautiful.

shug said...

hey Polly. thanks so much for stopping by to visit me. I think the older that I get The harder the summers are for me as well. I sympathize with you because we do at least have lots of air-conditioning around here and it's just a matter of having to stay inside throughout the summer cause it's so hot

photowannabe said...

I really feel for you and that humidity plus the heat. Our AC stays at 77 and we tolerate the sticky sweaty times. Just paid the electric bill. It was $400.00 that is too much but we gotta have it.
Praying for Sam and you as he goes through this next season. Praying the port drain will help things along and Shug, I know you can do ehat needs to be done !!!
(((hugs)))
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

You have a good sense of humor about it! and that's not easy! We are melting here, as well. Though not near as bad as Texas! Watch out for those wasps, they are no joke!! They have built a nest on the outside wall of our kitchen and one stung Phil in the middle of the night!

Carla from The River said...

Well, I must say, you made me laugh out loud with this one Shug. I know it is hot, humid and no fun, but you sure do have a fun attitude to survive it. ;-)
Ha Ha!
Stay Cool!!
Love, Carla

Mevely317 said...

Well, we may be hundreds of miles away, but you've nailed the Dog Dogs of Alabama. Yes, our air conditioner definitely deserves a Most Valuable Player trophy.
Thank you for this update on Sam; I think of you two every day! A few years ago, Tom contracted osteomyelitis of the spine. After his hospital stay, the home health care folks told he I had to do his twice daily infusions. Honest injun, I wanted to ride for the hills. I don't doubt you're nervous, but I believe in you. And so does God!

Cheerful Monk said...

The heat is bad enough, but wasps and yellow jackets?! That brings back old memories! Good luck on the heat lessening, at lest a bit.

Ann said...

I don’t know if I could handle your kind of summer. Around these parts I prefer summer to our winter

Dianna said...

Reading this makes me so happy that I live in West Virginia. Our summer has been hotter than normal (especially considering the fact that we live in the mountains) and the humidity has been really bad at times, but we do have rain and the heat and humidity do give us breaks now and then. xx

Mari said...

It's hot and humid here, but nothing like you are dealing with!
About 5 years ago my 2 sisters and I visited TX. We went to Waco to see the Magnolia stores and then visited a few other places. It was soooo hot! And when we arrived, we rented a car which of course had been sitting out in the sun. It had a black interior and was like an oven. Yikes! But we still had fun.
I just saw the update about Sam getting a drain in. Praying that goes well and praying for you as you deal with it. I know you'll do good though!

jabblog said...

It's time for the dog days to bark their last and welcome in some cooler, fresher days. I smiled at your description of wearing the humidity, though I can see it's no laughing matter. How does anyone ever work in such temperatures?

Martha Jane Orlando said...

We are right there with y'all, Shug! It's hotter than ever here even in our shady yard. We are staying indoors as much as we possibly can. Dog days are for the dogs! Blessings!

Kathy G said...

Hang in there!

The Happy Whisk said...

Wow! Wow! That is hot. And I kid you not, as I read blogs I'm in an extra hoodie sipping hot ginger peach tea outside with leaves changing and falling to the ground. Very different for sure.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

It's been hot here too, but not as bad as where you are.

Chatty Crone said...

We are joining you this year from HotAtlanta!

Jenn Jilks said...

It sure is a different climate than ours! Wow.

Dentist, Fall and Pj''s..

  Good Tuesday Afternoon y'all..  First day of Fall and I can sure say that it felt nice outside this morning..  🍁🍂 I actually took Sa...