Tuesday, August 11, 2026

August Calendars

 Hmmm.  what do I have to add for a post today?

Last evening, Sam and I compared our calendars. Remember when calendars were filled with vacations, dinner dates, ballgames and fun weekend plans?

Well, apparently we have entered a new season of life.

Our calendars are full alright, but mostly with doctors' appointments.  😂


   
"Not our REAL Calendar Schedule"

In just a matter of weeks, Sam will be making the grand medical tour:  the eye doctor, the eye specialist in Dallas, the endocrinologist, the lung doctor and his oncologist. 

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of punch card we should be carrying.  You know.....like visit five specialists and get the sixth appointment FREE!!

As for me....I'll be getting a machine for sleep apnea and the grand finale is ME having the dreaded colonoscopy.   Hope you all will not be to Jealous that I get to do this!!...."The Colonoscopy"

Is this what aging folks do? Compare calendars and say things like:

"Can't do Tuesday. I've got the cardiologist."

"How about Thursday?"

"Nope...Bloodwork."

"Friday?"

"Perfect! We are completely free between 10:30 and Noon."

But you know what?  There is actually something pretty wonderful hidden underneath our calendar full of appointments.  

We are still here to fill it!!

We are still comparing schedules, still taking care of each other....STILL LAUGHING...still making plans.  

Hopefully, our next appointment will involve a waiter, a menu, and a dessert.  

God is Good!!


Shug......


22 comments:

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

A good way to look at a busy calender - you're still here to fill it! That's funny about " visit five specialists and get the sixth appointment FREE" Wow what a concept! Maybe those who should be seeing the doctor would be motivated. The colonoscopy is a piece of cake. I heard all these horror stories and it wasn't that bad at all. I go back for another in 3 years.
Love your calendar graphic!

The Happy Whisk said...

Yes! You are still here to fill those days. Loved the 10:30 to noon. OMG? Girl. You are funny!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Us too! I am always joking that Phil & I still go on dates...to the doctor! Next week we have three and our calendar is full of them. But you are right, I am so thankful that we have good doctors. I hope Sam is feeling better without so many meds now.

Carla from The River said...

Sending prayers for all the appointments.
xo
Carla

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Sounds just like our calendar, too, Shug. LOL! I love how you always look on the bright side of things and always bring out a smile in me. Just today, I have an appointment with an ENT, Danny has his physical tomorrow, and I had a root canal done last Friday. Oh, well, as you said, at least we're here to fill those calendars up. Blessings!

photowannabe said...

Wow, that's one busy calendar. Ours is very boring compared to yours.
Hopefully you can continue to keep your senses of humor and just laugh about those special things that are just between you two.
We are looking forward to fall and the nice weather, also looking forward to pumpkin pie and cozy dinners.
Continued prayers for both of you. Love you
Sue

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I know what you mean about those calendars and medical appointments. That's about the only thing I put on our calendars anymore it seems. But yes, we are thankful to stilll be here and we are happy when we can put some "lunch dates" on the calendar as well! And oh, I know all about those colonoscopies... the worst part is the preparation. After that it's a cinch! Praying "everything comes out okay." LOL. Seriously. I hope the rest of your month goes smoothly and that you do find time for the fun things in between. God IS good...all the time, God is Good!

Ann said...

I can relate to this. My eye doctor called to reschedule an appointment and I had to say no to two other dates because of other doctor appointments already scheduled. I like the idea of getting a free visit after so many

Mari said...

Yikes - it's true. And just when you think you're getting caught up on appts, you lose a filling and have to call the dentist. Yup - that's what happened to me yesterday. I like your idea of a free visit every so often!

Dianna said...

It truly is the way life seems to go as we age. Shortly after my husband retired, we were excited over a date night (which meant we were going to Lowe's for supplies). lol Now "dates" can consist of a lunch or dinner at a favorite restaurant after a doctor appointment. Thinking of you and Sam as you go to these appointments...especially you and the colonoscopy. xx

Kathy G said...

I consider 'dates' time spent with my sweetie, no matter what we're doing.

Anonymous said...

thecontemplativecat here Our calendar is much like yours, although I think you have us beat in some areas. Before I knew better, I called them "cheap dates", but there is nothing cheap about them.

Michelle said...

Yes, looking on the bright side is the best way!

Mevely317 said...

Shug, have you been peeking at my calendar? Ours bears a striking similarity ... and visiting each week at Bible study, it appears my friends are marking their own. Your idea of a punch card is so funny.

Susan said...

I had to laugh at your post today, Shug. I can certainly identify with visits to doctors, etc. I'm grateful I can still walk, talk, see, hear, and so on. Whew! Some days are better than others but it's still mighty good to be on this side of the sod! Good luck with all the visits but I hope you and Sam can go out to lunch after at least one of them! Take care, dear friend. Susan

Chatty Crone said...

We are busier during old age then we were when we were younger.

Cheerful Monk said...

The most important thing is that you still have one another. 😊❤️

Kim Carberry said...

Aww! There should be some sort of punch card system going when you have that many appointments. Between you and Sam you do have a lot going on. I hope all the appointments go well.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I hope you get that appointment nhat requires a table, menu and wait staff sooner rather than later.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Last Summer was like that for us. I continue to pray for you and Sam:) It ain't easy to have so many appointments.

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh yes, Shug, we're of that age as well!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I can very much relate to this post about what fills our calendars as we get older, and your suggestion of a punch card --visit five specialists and get the sixth one free--made me laugh. But why not?

Pecans and a Recipe or Two

My new order of Fresh Fall Pecans arrived on Thursday.... We always order our pecans out of Arkansas and they are the best.  They come from ...