Sunday, August 23, 2026

55 Years Later

 55 Years Later… and We’re Still Showing Up! ❤️


This past Saturday night, Sam and I attended our 55th high school class reunion, and what a special evening it was! It’s hard to believe 55 years have passed since we walked across that graduation stage. Some things have certainly changed since then—our hairstyles, our waistlines, our eyesight, and possibly our ability to stay awake past 10:00! 😂 But one thing that hasn’t changed is how much fun it is to get together with people who share so many of the same memories.






Our graduating class had 68 members, and we were so happy to have 21 classmates in attendance. Considering it has been 55 years, I’d say we’re doing pretty darn good!


One of the most meaningful parts of the evening was our memorial table honoring the 19 classmates we have lost through the years. Seeing their pictures and remembering the young faces we once knew was a tender reminder of just how precious time really is. They may no longer be able to attend our reunions, but they will always be a part of our class and our memories.





Of course, you can’t have a proper reunion without food, and we certainly didn’t go hungry! We enjoyed a delicious BBQ dinner, followed by a sundae ice cream bar. At this age, we may be watching our cholesterol and sugar, but apparently all medical advice is temporarily suspended during a class reunion. 😂






We also had a silent auction to raise money for our class, which added a little friendly competition to the evening. Nothing brings out determination quite like seeing someone else write their name underneath yours on something you’ve already decided belongs to you! BTW...I won the bid on a nice basket of homemade sour dough bread, sour dough crackers, cookies and granola.  I was happy to bring all these goodies home with me.  





Then came BINGO—and I’m happy to report that all these years of experience paid off because I WON THE VERY FIRST GAME! 😂🏆  I may not remember where I put my phone five minutes ago, but I can certainly recognize B-12 when I hear it!


There was plenty of visiting, laughing, reminiscing, and probably a few stories that have gotten a little better with every reunion. We talked about the people we were back then, the lives we’ve lived since, our families, our adventures, and all the years that somehow passed much faster than any of us expected.




Sam has on the blue wig.... sitting next to me...
Not sure what he was doing...definitely not looking at the camera..lol


At our age, a class reunion isn’t just about remembering high school. It’s about being grateful that we are still here to gather, still able to laugh together, and still interested enough in one another’s lives to keep coming back.


We were once just a group of kids trying to make our way through school, with absolutely no idea where life would take us. Fifty-five years later, we’ve traveled many different roads, experienced joys and heartaches, raised families, lost people we loved, and collected a lifetime of stories along the way.




And for one Saturday night, we were classmates again.


Maybe a little grayer. Maybe a little slower. Maybe needing our glasses to read the Bingo cards. 😂


But still laughing.


Still remembering.


Still friends.


And very thankful for 55 years of memories. ❤️


Here’s hoping we all keep showing up for many more reunions to come!



Me...having a little fun while getting the event set-up on Saturday morning...


I am on the planning committee along with my dear friends Joyce, Vicki and Susan...  For me, this was another BUSY weekend.  



More of the decorating crew. ⬆️


Loves to you all...


Shug....


** Oh....and I must tell you....Not to brag or anything, but I was the youngest class member there!!  Whoop Whoop!!  😂

31 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Oh, what a great evening!!! Your evening sounds like it was filled with laughter, and those little signs. What a panic!
I've never dared attend a class reunion, but keep up with everyone's comings (and goings) on a dedicated school alumni site. Sobering, sometimes to get over there and see how many "boys and girls" are no longer among us.

Kathy G said...

I've gotten initial correspondence about my 50th reunion next year. I can't wait.

Cheerful Monk said...

I'm so happy for you all. ❤️

Ginny Hartzler said...

You got great photos! I love the cute signs they are all holding up! So you and Sam were both in the same high school...did you share any classes? What a wonderful idea the memorial table was! You are looking so good!

Linda said...

Thanks for the smiles. Our 41st just went by and we have never been to a reunion, nope...I see folks on FB, and they still act the way they did back then. Which is pretty sad. Wishing you a great Monday my friend.

Ann said...

Wonderful photos from your reunion. I haven't been to one since my 10th. My graduating class was much larger. It was over 700. It's hard to believe how long it's been since I graduated.

Kim Carberry said...

Oh wow! How cool to go to the school reunion and have so many show up. It is so sad about the lost classmates, it does show how precious time is. Good job with the silent auction. It sounds like a fun evening!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh how wonderful!! Looks like you had a great time. So, apparently Sam was in your class? Were you high school sweethearts? That's so cool! You were in a small class like I was...only ours was even smaller...only 50 members! And we ought to be having another reunion before we get too old to remember who we are. Our last reunion was our 50th. We graduated in 68, so that's 58 years ago already! I guess I need to start prodding some folks to get started on our 60th if we can last that long. I was on the previous committees. I like the idea you had of the pictures of those class members who have already passed on. That was very nice. I like the idea of the games too. Thanks for the good ideas. This was delightful!! And you look great!!!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I think it's amazing that y'all are still getting together 55 years later, Shug! We had our 50th in 2023, and sadly, I think that will be our last formal gathering. Thanks for sharing your dear classmates and your fun activities with us. Blessings!

Dianna said...

Looks like lots of fun...and you look great.
Happy Monday Birthday! Sending hugs and prayers for a fantastic day! 🥰

Carla from The River said...

Hello Friend,
I am catching up. I read Sam's update at the top of the page. I am praying for you and for Sam. Hope things are better today.
I enjoyed your post. 55 years of friendship is a gift! I am glad you had a fun time.
Love, Carla

photowannabe said...

Well I'm 10 years ahead of you. Mine is the Class of 1961 ... Now that is ancient history !
Our graduating class was over 300 so there really wasn't the intimacy and feeling of really belonging. I am still in contact through email with a small group of fellow students. Most of my friends have passed away or live so far away that we never see each other.
I really like the Memorial table that you did. Sometimes names escape the mind so its great to see the faces of that time of school.
Congratulations on winning the prizes. How fun and I love your picture. Happy to know that Sam could attend too.
Life seems to be going at full steam ahead for you. Keep it up !!
And
Happy Birthday my sweet Friend !!!
Sue

Shug said...

I think this reunion was special to my heart because amongst the group that I have known and grew up with...I saw so many prayer needs. Opened my eyes..

Shug said...

I hope you all make this a big celebration.

Shug said...

It was great seeing friends I haven't seen in 5 years and for some who didn't attend the last reunion, it had been 10 years since I saw them..

Shug said...

Hi Ginny. Yes, we graduated together. His birthday is in October and mine is actually today...He is about 10 1/2 months older than me. It has worked out well for us to get to attend the same class reunion together.

Shug said...

Thankfully, we had a very unique class. Very close and have kept up with each other now for 55 years. Wishing you the same..a Beautiful day.

Shug said...

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have had 700 in a class. wow.

Shug said...

You are so right Kim...Time is precious and we need to not ever take it for granted.

Shug said...

Sam and I were in the same class and we became "Boyfriend and Girlfriend" our freshman year in school.. benn together ever since. LOL. neither of us ever dated anyone else.

Shug said...

These schoolmates are truly very good friends. Many of us still live within 15 miles of the high school where we graduated. There are many needs in the lives of some of them...mostly needs for health issues as well as financial.. I added some names to my prayer list for sure...

Shug said...

Thank you for the Birthday wishes and just today, I received your beautiful card that you sent me. I so much appreciated this.

Shug said...

Thank you Carla for your prayers. Seems that each day there is something that pops up different. We have already been to the doctor today and have two more visits for him (sam) this week..

Susan said...

Well, you sure have been busy, Shug. My goodness! The reunion sounded just wonderful. Your small class seems very sweet and are life long friends as well.You did a great job organizing that memorable event. You are so right about time. It goes by soooo fast and every single second is precious. Also, bringing Mylee to school was an adventure. I hope she will have a totally wonderful year. She is a very lucky girl to be surrounded by so many beautiful things for her comfort as well as surrounded by people who love her to the moon and back. Great posts, Shug. Hope the rest of your week is super blessed. Susan

Michelle said...

I'm so happy to see that you were both able to attend. These reunions are special.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Happy 55th Reunion! Were you and Sam classmtes?

Shug said...

Hi Anne. we were classmates beginning in the 9th grade. Sam went to Jr. high at a different school.

Shug said...

They really are fun. It's great to catch up with old friends..

Shug said...

Thank you Susan. Life around this place is really too busy...I'm going to try to slow down..

Shug said...

Hey Sue... I was so happy that Sam was able to attend the reunion. 6 weeks ago, he would not have been able to do so. 300 is a big class. I'm guessing we had less than 900 in our entire school. 1st-12th. The memorial table has always been very special at our reunions. Many of these classmates passed away at such an early age. I rarely shop Walmart, but my gift card was from Walmart so I'll be making a trip soon to maybe shop for some craft supplies. Thank you for the Birthday wishes....I had a very good day..

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a special and fun event.. Glad Sam was able to go too.

Dancing Light at Six Mile.

  The Light That Still Dances Across Six Mile There are places in Texas where stories do not fade with time. They linger in the dust of old ...