Wednesday, September 25, 2019


About Texas Homecoming Mums:  

When I was young and in elementary school, there was nothing sweeter than the smell of Homecoming Mums.  

Homecoming is always set for a special week during football season.  A long time ago, homecoming was a time when the alumni of years past, would come to that particular weeks football game.  It was a time, not only to watch the "Bears" play some football, but it was a time when you would come back to visit with friends that you had not seen in a year or more.   

Everyone, dressed up for Homecoming!!  It was kind like a holiday, because you had to go buy something NEW to wear for Homecoming!   

Not only did the school students wear mums, but moms wore them as well....


Source: Pineterest


The sweet smell of all the "Real" mums, filled the air and even today when I smell a mum, it reminds me of Homecoming.

The smell of those mums meant Fall was finally here.  

I can remember hanging each year's mum, up on a bulletin board in my bedroom.  What once was royal blue ribbons, would soon turn a faded purple, but it didn't matter....they would stay up on the wall for me to see!  Can you imagine having anywhere from 4 to 10 homecoming mums hanging up in your bedroom?

These things meant a whole lot to us girls.

Both of our girls, were Homecoming Queens!  First Trista and two years later, Shanda was Queen.  This was a special time during their  Senior years in High School.   I wanted to dig out the pictures of them with their crowns and homecoming mums....but I'm too lazy to do it.   Maybe some time I will.  

It is really very interesting to see some of the gigantic Mums that have been made across this great state of Texas.   If you get a chance, google Texas Homecoming Mums.   

You would not believe how many trinkets and bells can fit on a homecoming mum.  The more the better!!

Anyways.....just some interesting news about HCM's.

shug....


3 comments:

  1. I knew nothing about this! I think a lot of people don't, who don't live in Texas. So I Googled the mums. Wow! So many different ones, huge and super. Your header even has one with a light. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shug!

    This is so interesting!! I think it is a wonderful tradition and I love that it has been passed down through the years...so amazing! I would have kept them as well, I love that kind of thing. Thank you for sharing this most wonderful, Texas tradition!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this before. I did Google Texas Homecoming Mums. Very pretty and very interesting. I can see both your daughters being homecoming queen...both are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

My two Favorites

  Showing you all my two favorite pots for this year! I have these two pots sitting around my pool and I love everything about them.   Have ...