Thursday, August 7, 2014

The days are clicking away!!


do any of you remember these?

My friends and I spent many hours, playing on one of these at recess.
Of course, that was way back then, when recess was a REAL thing.

When I was in elementary school, we had three recesses a day.  I'm not talking about ten minute breaks......we had at least 30 minute play times.  Long enough for the girls to play Miss America, and dress up while doing so.    (Yes...we even had sashes)


Those were the days when kids had respect for their bus driver!
No bus monitor was needed....if the bus driver had to discipline one of us....we would quickly find ourselves in the Principle's office....as soon as that bus was parked. (and kids were usually spanked at the end of the day, by their parents)

  


Every child had one of these!!
My grandfather owned a "Filling Station" way back then.  As soon as school was out for the Summer, my sister, brothers and I would start telling Papa to be sure and save us a cigar box!  

Papa, had the whole Summer to sell enough cigars to be able to have at least four empty boxes for us kids to use, the next school year.


and oh yes......the much needed
"Big Chief" tablet.  This was all a kid needed, back in the day!

I went to Target yesterday and oh my.....the school supplies isle was filled with people and shopping carts. 

Red pen, blue pen, black pen, markers, specific erasers, certain kinds of glue, pocket folders, composition notebooks, and even a digital scan disk for a camera!!!

The school list are huge!!  The school Supply list is quite PRICEY!!!!

I know that the world has so much more to offer for students, but I must say...."I liked things the way they were, back in my elementary days"  

The days are clicking away for this Summer break. 

Shug ~

  

10 comments:

  1. I sure have fond memories of school...especially elementary school. A new tablet and 2 new pencils and we were set! heehee! Enjoy your day my friend! Thanks for the memories! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shug!

    Fun post! I loved school supplies! Sometimes I just walk up and down the school supply isle just to smell the smell of new crayons and notebooks! I loved the Big Chief notebooks, and the cigar boxes, oh my goodness! Do you think the school would even allow a cigar box in the classroom these days?

    Times certainly are different than they used to be, very little discipline from the principle - he's too afraid of a law suit! And, unfortunately, very little discipline at home . . . too afraid of a law suit!

    Wouldn't it be nice to turn back the clock and make the world a little less complicated?!

    In my neck of the woods, school starts on August 14th, so early! I remember we never started until after the State Fair, which was always the first week in September. Times certainly have changed!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have thought of using this go around thingy as a header, but it works wonderfully and is so nostalgic. What IS the name of it anyway? Yes, one of my favorite things was to shop for school supplies! I loved even the smell of them! The crayons, pencil cases, choosing a notebook and pencils. Back then we listened and learned! There is not much respect now, teachers ave it so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I remember the Big Chief tablets! I always had a new box of crayons, a couple of pencils and a little pair of scissors, too. I know times have changed, but are they really for the better? I wonder. Especially when it comes to the discipline or lack of discipline! That is not a good thing, imo.

    Hope you're having a good summer! August is a busy month and I'm behind on so many things, including blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember all those things! What memories. The Big Chief tablet was one of my faves. I don't remember recess being 30 minutes x 3 a day, but it was a lot longer than now. Children need to move! That is why there is so much ADD/ADHD in classrooms now. JMHO, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Shug.. Most of us 'oldies' would love to see things like they used to be.. BUT--things have changed and America is a different country than it was even 5 years ago... Very sad to ME!!!!

    I heard today that a principal in a school in Houston (I think) got fired because he/she wants the students to speak ENGLISH... I say: "Why NOT?" This is America.. People should speak OUR language... Oh Well---life is different... I feel sorry for my grandchildren and the ones to come after them...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Times have changed. Some of that change is good,but certainly not all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to keep my list minimal, but I even still have to request tissue that our school doesn't supply....*sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love stopping by your blog and reading your heartfelt posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Shug...yes, I remember all of these! We had swings out of metal that squeaked when you swing (is that a word?) in them..see-saws... There was hop scotch...jump rope, games. And not very much stuff for supplies.

    Better days..

    Gert

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Easter Dessert

  No-Bake Strawberry Crunch  Cheesecake! I think I will.....I think this is the perfect dessert for my Easter Lunch! I mean seriously ..... ...