Monday, June 7, 2010

Sentimental Journey

Sentimental.....How many of you can say that you are truly sentimental?  I can definitely attest to the fact that I am very sentimental! 

Sentimental means to have tender emotions and feelings toward something (things, places, situations.)
Here is one thing that I am very sentimental about...This old pot filled with the old "Hen and Chicken" plant belonged to my mother.
As long as I can remember, my mother had this in her yard.  After she passed away, I knew that I had to have this pot and the plant.
I don't know why, other than the fact that it was my mother's.

Keepsakes are meant to give an inspiring glimpse and momentary remembrance of the past.  I suppose that is the reason that those of us who are sentimental fill our lives with little pieces of the past.


I remember when my mother was in hospice and we knew she was not going to make it much longer.  I had to have the quilt that was on her bed.  It wasn't the quilt that I was longing for, it was a part of her that I was drawn to.  The quilt was something that kept her comfortable as her frail body lay in that hospital bed.  When I look at that quilt today, I picture my mother peacefully sleeping as  life was slipping away from her.  


Sam and I started dating when we were Freshman's in High School.  I have every single letter that he wrote me.  I have every single card that he has ever given me.  Birthday cards, Valentine cards, Anniversary Cards, Cards just to say he loved me.  I have the things like our wedding invitation, my gown, a few napkins, and the cake knife.  These are all things that are important to me.







These are just a few!  I literally have hundreds of cards and letters.......


And then I have things that the girls made, things that my grandchildren have made, and just about anything else that reminds me of precious memories.  I have my grandmother's watch.  It doesn't work, but it is still very important to me. 

I know that I need to simplify my life, because most of this just takes up space.  I'm just not ready!  I know that there are a lot of people that do not place sentimental value on things.  I truly know that the things are not of value, but it is what I hold in my heart in regards to those things that are priceless. 


I have read this quote many times, and I think that it is very good.  It was quoted by Wilson Rauls from the Movie "Where the red fern grows."  Check it out!

"It's strange indeed how memories can lie dormant in a man's mind for so many years, Yet those memories can be awakened and brought forth fresh and new, just by something you've seen, or something you've heard, or the sight of an old familiar face."

How true this is........I love memories, I love things that remind me of people, or remind of special events and times.  Some may call it clutter, but as long as I am able, I will find the space for this clutter that I hold so dear.  Life is good and I hope that this plant that my mother loved will continue to grow and stay healthy.  I want my  daughters or grandchildren to some day look at that old plant and remember how much it meant to me.  Maybe their hearts will be filled with sentiment and they will want to pass it down to their children.  To be sentimental is to love.  How much better could it be?  

Shug.........


Be a Blessing to someone today...Share a piece of your life with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Fun with Old Photos

  Fun with Old Photos.... What do you do on yet another RAINY day?  You look at Old photos! We have had rain all day and with it being Satur...