Friday, October 2, 2026

Rain and A Secret...

 Happy Friday morning !! ☔️

East Texas finally go some much needed rain, and y'all, what a welcome sight it was.  We have had so many dry days and have been under a burn ban for a couple of months now.  


It was wonderful, hearing the raindrops on the roof and watching the ground soak up every drop. 
BTW...also pictured in this photo are the straps that secure the pool cover!  lol 😂


________

I've been keeping a secret for about a year now and I am happy to say that I can now share it with you all.  


Yesterday was a really big day.....
Texas Parks and Wildlife purchased a huge portion of the Nursery Land!!!!  Papers were signed yesterday.  On what has been family land for over 80 plus years, will now be a soon coming ......Texas State Park and Wildlife (PARK)

The family kept a completely separate farm that is nearby where we can continue to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors.  

Come Spring....(April) the Pecan Nursery will actually close it's doors.  Sam will be retiring!!

This is all a little bittersweet, but yet it is a huge blessing for all.  

We are all so very excited!!!

Hopefully, in a few years when the park is completed, some of you can come and visit this beautiful part of the country...

Wishing you all a wonderful day...

Shug... 

 




30 comments:

Mari said...

Shug, that's wonderful news! It will be good for Sam and such a blessing that the land will not be developed and will be a park!

Shug said...

We are extremely excited that it will be a state park instead of being developed into a housing community..

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, such wonderful news...first the rain (please send us some) and then the purchase of the property for a park! That is wonderful!! I also hate to see our natural lands developed into houses and businesses, so anytime it can be preserved for a part/wildlife reservation, etc., that is great news!!! So happy for you!! Wish I could come visit, but some days I feel blessed just to be able to drive around our neighborhood woods. We just don't go far anymore unless someone else does the driving. Texas has never been on my bucket list, but now you make me think more about it! Happy October!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good news all around how wonderful that part of the Nursery will be preserved as a State Park...way to go!

Kim Carberry said...

Just look at that rain! How wonderful!
Oh wow! That is exciting news about the nursery land becoming a state park!

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

Wow how awesome is that? Wonderful news and yes, a much better way to preserve the land than selling it to a corporation that could possibly use it for another data center! And Sam's retirement! Congratulations.
PS: Does that mean the alligator goes with the state or do you still have custody of him?

photowannabe said...

HaHa on Debby's last comment about the alligator ...
Congratulations on the sale and I am thrilled that the land will be preserved as a State Park.
We need that preservation for everybody's good.
Happy but I know that its bittersweet that the Pecan Nursery won't be under Sam's watchful eye after April. I know all of this is safely in the Lord's hands.
Love you and glad you got rain.
Sue

Dianna said...

That's wonderful news, Shug! I'm so glad to hear that Sam is retiring. So happy for your family! xx

Shug said...

Alligator goes with the state..😢

Shug said...

Thank you Sue. You know, God has a way of working all things out. Sam is sick and there really is no one else to take over the business. The nursery has provided very well for three generations now and it is sad to see them close it, but at the same time, God has answered prayers and the sell will benefit the family. We needed the rain and I am so very thankful..

Shug said...

It means so much in knowing that the farm will be put to good use for not only the community, but for thousands of folks. We feel very good about this.

Shug said...

Isn't it wonderful...there will even be a building with old farming tools and such and a portion will be the history of the nursery and the family.

Shug said...

We were so excited about the rain...this is all coming from Hurricane Polo...all the way from the pacific...It is very exciting for the family that the nursery will become a State Park.

Shug said...

This is so good and we praise God for how it has worked out. There was no one else to take over management of the nursery and Sam is way too sick to keep it going. Even though he has only been going in to the office an hour or so per day, this has lifted a lot from his shoulders.

Barbara said...

Congrats on the good news about the family property!

I've been keeping you and yours in prayer.

Pam said...

Congratulations! Is that on Lake Palestine? It is absolutely beautiful there. As a displaced Texan I am happy to hear it will become a state park! So glad Sam can retire and enjoy life!

Mevely317 said...

Congratulations, Shug and Sam! I hope you'll save me a seat at one of the Park's picnic tables.

Ann said...

What happy news that is. How wonderful that family property will become a state park. So much better than seeing land filled up with houses and buildings.
That looks like you got quite a heavy rainfall

Billie Jo said...

Hello! What absolutely joyous and blessed news, my friend! I think that is just wonderful for you all. And rain to boot! Yay!!!!! Have a cozy weekend!

Susan Kane said...

How wonderful to know that a new park emerges! too often parks are consumed by the community planning commissions.here in CA.

Shug said...

It is on lake Palestine. A portion of what used to be our farm has lake frontage. It's a beautiful place.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Oh, Shug, I'm blown away by this fabulous news! Your family legacy will live on to delight generations of park-lovers and conservationists while keeping apart the family privacy to pass along to children and grandchildren. I cannot think of a more meaningful legacy to leave to the coming generations as they learn to appreciate God's incomparable creation.
So glad you finally got rain, too! We're hoping for some here soon.

Linda said...

Congratulations!!!! Such wonderful news, my friend. Keeping in prayer.

Kathy G said...

Good news all around!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Great picture of the much needed rain.
A state park sounds like a wonderful future use for the property. I
P.S. had the same question as Debbie about whether the alligator was staying or going, haha, but I saw your answer

Chatty Crone said...

Shug, that's wonderful news! It is such a blessing that the land will not be developed!! That they are going to make a park with it!! It will be good for Sam too. Lots of changes.

River said...

Hooray for the much needed rain.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This really is huge news! And what wonderful use it will be put to!! I know it must be both sad and happy all at once. The first photo of the rain is beautiful...is that a banana tree? Love your new header!

Changes in the wind said...

Bittersweet,,,,,,,,,taking a heartbreak and turning it into a blessing and let it be known that those who bless others will indeed be blessed.

Red Rose Alley said...

yaaay, that is a lot of rain! I looks so tropical with that big leaf tree! This is wonderful news that the land will be used for making a wildlife park. I am wondering what animals will roam this area. And I'm glad you kept some of the farm too. It's always so nice to visit nature in our days. The picture of the land is so pretty. What wonderful news! Have a lovely weekend, Shug.

Rain and A Secret...

  Happy Friday morning !! ☔️ East Texas finally go some much needed rain, and y'all, what a welcome sight it was.  We have had so many d...