Saturday was kinda like a bittersweet day around here.
Back in 2006, after my mom passed away, we built a smaller home for my dad. It sits on the back side of my brother's property. This was the perfect location for us to be able to take care of him. He used the same drive way as my brothers, and there was a sidewalk going from dads house to my brother's house.
My dad passed away in 2017.
Both of the houses sit on about 13 acres of land, with a big pond out back... With all of the mowing and taking care of things around the place it had become more than my brother can take care of. He and my SIL are having some health issues and this was making things harder for David.
To make a long story short, my brother and sister-in-law listed the property and it has now sold. This place is the perfect set up for the buyers with having two homes on the same property. Their daughter and her family will live in my brother's home and the mom and dad will live in my dads home.
This past weekend was moving day. Not only did we move my brother and SIL, but we had to move all of the stuff out of my dad's house as well. I say we...but I only helped with packing and unpacking the boxes and smaller stuff.
My brother had movers come to move the furniture and the packed boxes.... It was so very bittersweet to see this part of life's journey come to an end. I have so many memories of the days I spent taking care of my dad in this house.
It will be okay though...Change happens and new memories are made in different places... One of the biggest things I will miss is the RED Christmas lights that lit up every year on his (my dad) house. He always had red lights on the house at Christmas...
Who knows....maybe the new owners will do the same.
And this my dear friends is the NEWS from my weekend...
Sweet Blessings!!
Shug....
Oh Shug, I totally understand. When my brother sold my mom and dad's house, it really got to me. That house was built around the time I was born, so it had a lot of memories. And we took care of our parents in that house as well when they were aging. It's funny that you mentioned your dad had red lights at Christmastime because our neighbors across the street from our house used to put a string of red lights on their house outside. That was so good of you to help box things up and help out. It sounds like a nice house for their daughter and her family. And I hope your brother finds a nice place to live as well. Moving can be an exhausting time, and I do hope all will be settled and happy in time.
ReplyDeleteShug, it's so hard to go through these types of changes. The last time I passed by my dad's old house, it didn't even look the same and I said that would be my last time to go by. It's just not the same house now, so there's no point. This is life and life seems to keep moving from season to season. Some are harder than others. Hugs to you :)
ReplyDeleteThat was a hard day, but now it's done and you won't have the pain of it again. What to do with all the furniture and treasures, though?
ReplyDeleteChange is inevitable, but that doesn't mean it's easy!
ReplyDeleteA sad and bittersweet day for sure. I hope your brother and sister-in-law will still be living close to you, and found what they needed. Change is harder and harder for me as I get older. And things change so fast anymore!
ReplyDelete