Wednesday, August 5, 2026

An August Kind of Hodgepodge

Wednesday Hodgepodge: 


An August kind of Hodgepodge


Joining ...."From this side of the Pond".







Joyce Asks the Questions:

We Answer the Questions:




 1. What's something on your August calendar you're looking forward to? Or dreading if that's easier to answer. 

This is my Birthday month...I will be happy to be celebrated with a birthday dinner, but...at this point I'm thinking I might start going backwards on the years!! 😂 🤣


2. August 5th is National Oyster Day...do you partake? How do you feel about pearls? 


I don't do oysters.  I have tried one that was baked with parmesan cheese and it was okay...not anything that I can get excited about. 


Pearls:  I love them... Sam gave me a double stringed pearl necklace for our 30th anniversary. I honestly wouldn't mind wearing a string of pearls everyday!!  Just call me June Cleaver!!!! 


3. Tell us about a time when you felt like 'the world was your oyster'. 


People often say, “The world is your oyster,” as if every road is open and every dream is just waiting to be claimed. I’ve heard that saying my whole life, but if I’m being truthful, I’m not sure I’ve ever really felt that way. Maybe it’s because life has always come with responsibilities, doubts, or the feeling that I needed to be practical instead of fearless. I don’t remember ever standing at the edge of possibility believing I could simply choose any path I wanted. But perhaps the beauty isn’t in believing the whole world belongs to us. Maybe it’s in realizing that no matter our age or where we’ve been, there are still unopened doors, unexpected adventures, and little pieces of life waiting to surprise us.


4. Trip Advisor lists seven islands in the US that require no passport (for US citizens). If you're answering today from outside the US you'll still need to produce yours. An-y-way, have you been to any of the seven? Let's pretend you get an all expense paid trip to one this month...which one do you choose and why? 


Catalina Island California~Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts~Mackinac Island Michigan~Key West Florida~South Padre Island Texas~or Kauai Hawaii


From the ones listed above, I would choose Mackinac Island Michigan!!  A place that is on my bucket list...

I have been to South Padre Island Texas and I have been to Kauai Hawaii


5. Sylvia Plath is credited with the following- 

"August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time."

Agree or disagree? In other words, how do you feel about this month? 


Hmmm...  right now I would have to disagree..  

a. No rain in sight around here...

b. Summer is still in full force here and most likely will be until the end of September.

c.  Only Fall that could possibly be seen in August is the dead leaves because it is so hot and dry..

d. unsettled? Yes!!  


August is not my favorite month... It's way too hot!  My kiddos are all going back to teaching or college, and the utilities are a lot more expensive!! 


6. Insert your own random thought here. 


Somewhere, pumpkins are showing up in stores  while I'm still trying to survive triple -digit temperatures....  Hey August...I'm still buying watermelons!!! 


Shug....🍉

6 comments:

  1. Ha, that funny that you shared. Thankfully August in Wisconsin is beautiful. Amazing sunsets, lighting bugs, crickets chirping, cool evenings... that is just some of why I love August.
    Hang in there my Texas friend, cool days are coming for you. And freezing days are coming for me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you ... August isn't my favorite month at all. Its hot and the "Hot" seems to go on and on ...no pretty sunsets, things are drying to an awful Crunch. My Electric and Gas bill are going up and up and the water bill is right there too.
    Kids around here started school last week and most this coming week. Granddaughter Amanda goes back to her teaching job this Thursday. I guess its prep time for the kiddos on the next Monday.
    We are just finishing up the last of the most delicious watermelon tonight. Actually we gave son Steve a huge watermelon for his birthday (among other goodies) Its his favorite so why not ?
    Fun questions
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m with you on #3 all the way! Wishing a spectacular birthday this month, complete with cake that doesn’t melt in the August heat. Sure, it’s hot and dry, and we’re wading into the oven’s peak season here in California but hope springs eternal, preferably somewhere with shade. This summer’s been a delight with cooler-than-usual days here and, best of all, no major fires. Hallelujah for small mercies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer for #3 - you're wise. :)
    I think Machinac Island would be good for you to visit and I will meet you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cartoon at the top is so awesome, I love it! I also really enjoyed your opinion on "the world is your oyster". As far as I'm concerned, it IS fall! At least mentally. I have already started decorating. But it is still so hot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am right there with you. Who can possibly be thinking of fall when it is a gozillion degrees, sunny with 98% humidity

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

An August Kind of Hodgepodge

Wednesday Hodgepodge:  An August kind of Hodgepodge Joining ...."From this side of the Pond". Joyce Asks the Questions: We Answer ...