Thursday, July 23, 2026

Meet "HOOT"

Let me introduce you all to "Hoot."

I shared his picture for Wordless Wednesday, but the truth is, Hoot has quite a story to tell.


 Hoot… our trusty plastic owl who has been standing guard around our home for the past 25 years!




10 Things About Our Faithful Plastic Owl, “Hoot”


Hoot has seen more Texas sun, rain, wind, and storms than most people would willingly stand through.

He may be made of plastic, but he’s become part of the family.

After 25 years, he’s beginning to crack in several places, but aren’t we all showing a few signs of aging?

Every spring, he takes his position to convince the birds that someone is watching.

Whether he actually scares birds away anymore is still up for debate. They may just wave as they fly by!

He has survived countless mowing seasons, flower bed makeovers, and more than a few curious squirrels.

Replacing him has crossed our minds… but it just wouldn’t feel the same.

There’s something comforting about looking outside and seeing Hoot faithfully standing in his usual spot.

He’s a little faded, a little worn, and definitely weathered, but he’s earned every crack and scratch.

● Hoot isn’t just a plastic owl—he’s a tradition  for our family.



It’s funny how certain little things become part of our lives. A plastic owl that cost only a few dollars has somehow become one of those familiar sights that makes our home feel complete. Seeing him outside each day gives us a sense of comfort, almost like he’s quietly keeping watch over everything.


One of these days, Hoot may finally retire. His cracks are getting bigger, and time has definitely taken its toll. But until that day comes, he’ll continue doing what he’s always done—standing proudly, watching over the yard, and bringing us the sweetest memories.


Do you have something around your home that has been with you for years? It may not be worth much to anyone else, but to you it’s filled with memories. I’d love to hear about it! 



Shug.....🦉



 

16 comments:

  1. Hello Shug. I think Hoot is, well, a "hoot." Wow, he's been around a long time.
    "Who" would have thought that a plastic owl could last all those years! WOWSERS. I hope he keeps on going as long as possible. Well, I have photos around that are more than 70 years. I cannot seem to let go of them. Many were taken when I was a little girl. It's so hard to let go but, alas, the time definitely comes when we have to do it. I hope your day today will be good, my dear Shug, and Sam, too. This has been a long journey for both of you and for all of your family. May God bless each of you in a special way. Hugs. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Hoot! Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care how worn he gets, don't ever retire him!!! I can really understand this. I have an old blue duck in the side yard that has lost most of his paint and looks awful. But I cannot get rid of it because of the good memories it has. Hoot still looks really good to me! And if worst comes to worst, there is always glue and paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful story about your Owl, Shug.. It sounds like he's part of the family. I hope Hoot stays around for a long time, being a friend to your family and all the wildlife around your neck of the woods. Yes, I do have something that has been with me for many years. It a stone on my front porch that says, "Everywhere you go, God goes with you." It has traveled with me through all the moves, and it comforts me when I step outside and see it. These treasures in our lives bring us such joy, don't they, Shug?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We still have our Funky plastic Frog sitting on a rock in our back yard. He's faded and now covered with weeds but he's still there as a reminder that we can still be fun even when we are worn and slightly crumbling...
    (((hugs)))
    Sue
    P.S. thanks for continued prayers for Dave. He really is better and gets around but I think he is struggling with the fact that he will never be as good as he was a few years ago. Its like we both have to "reboot" our brain thoughts and patterns.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! Your Hoot's given me all the feels!
    I love this backstory, Shug. Now I need to put on my "thinking cap" and see what precious intangibles are sitting ... silently waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Hoot onn your Wordless Wednesday post and would never hsve guessed he was a plastic owl. He looked so real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoot really has been around a long, long time. He's definitely part of the family!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoot looks pretty good for being that old. I have some outside decorations that have faded so much the color isn't even visible. I'm sure there are plenty of things around here that have been with me for years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Hoot! And I like his story too. He may be getting old, but he's reliable and still faithfully doing what he's supposed to do.
    We have an old birdhouse. It's actually just decorative and it sits in our wooded side yard. My mom gave it to us about 30 years ago. She's been gone for 23 years now, the birdhouse is dry and cracked, but I think of her when I see it and it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a plastic owl that's been around for about 15 years. I love owls and bought him for .99 at the store. I actually like his weathered look - he looks more realistic. Once we saw a finch sitting on him. Oh the humiliation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoot is just wonderful! I have a little stone frog in my garden that has been moved right around the garden over the years, it's tatty and a faded yellow but I can't bear to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot of our things are thirty to fifty years old. Well past their prime (like us) but still much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't retire him soon. He is a part of what the family sees when they come by. We had an owl - to ward off woodpeckers. I have older things - but to tell you the truth, nobody is really interested in them! Sandie/Chatty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, we don't have a Hoot, but there's a small two-handled aluminum pot in my stove drawer that never gets used, but I plan to never change where it lives. It belonged to my dear mother-in-law and every time I open that drawer I think of her and all of the life lessons she taught me concerning homemaking and being a good wife just by her example. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I say leave him as long as he can stand up.. He deserves it and you love him. Who knows how many birds he has scared away? If you get a new one put him where you can see him in the back yard.. We had something, but Irma removed it. Bob planted a pink grapefruit seed in a cup, and then at 4 feet tall, from bucket to bucket to the front yard. It was part of our window with a view. We loved the tree, and it had so much fruit, the neighbors were allowed to pick as much as they wanted... it was there for 25 years. in the 20th year, the tree died from disease, It was gorgeous, A work of art! we loved it more as a dead tree. Drive by workers would stop and offer to take it down, I told them it was art to me. Irma the hurricane came and blew it down. We still miss it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

3 days left

 🍂 Well, August… You’ve Got 3 Days Left! ☀️ Can you believe it? Only THREE days left in August! Seriously, August, didn’t you just get her...