Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Enough Was the Dream All Along

Gosh...where is all this nostalgia coming from? Am I in a sentimental state of mind?  Perhaps it was a recent phone visit with my very favorite uncle....Funny how one conversation can open a hundred little doors in your heart....


A facebook friend posted this writing yesterday on her facebook page.... Thought it was worth sharing....



 Your great-grandmother was not trying to manifest a beach vacation. She was not curating an aesthetic. She was not optimizing...anything. She had a list, and the list was short, and the list was sacred.


A full pantry. Healthy children. A roof that did not leak. A husband who came home. A garden that produced. A few good dresses. A reliable stove. Sunday dinner with people she loved. Enough flour for the week and enough kindness for the neighbors.


That was the whole dream. That was the whole life. And by the standards of most of human history, achieving that list was a roaring success.


Then the twentieth century happened, and somebody figured out that a woman who is content is terrible for business. A woman with a full pantry is not running to the store. A woman who is satisfied with her kitchen is not redoing it every four years. A woman who knows what enough looks like cannot be sold the next thing.


So they got to work. They made the small house embarrassing. They made the old car embarrassing. They made the home-cooked meal embarrassing, and then when nobody knew how to cook anymore they sold it back as a meal kit with a celebrity chef on the box. They raised the cost of living until both parents had to work, and then they sold daycare and convenience food and weekend therapy to fix the exhaustion that working both jobs created in the first place.


They took your great-grandmother's list and called it poverty. They took her life and called it limited. They took her contentment and called it a lack of ambition.


And then they sold you ambition. They sold you a bigger house you cannot clean, a car you cannot pay off, a wardrobe you do not wear, a calendar you cannot survive, and a vague constant feeling that you are still falling behind.


You are not falling behind. You are running a race that was designed to have no finish line. The race itself is the product.


Go back and read her list.


author unknown:





 Before life became a race to have more, our grandmothers and great-grandmothers often measured wealth in much simpler ways. A stocked pantry, children who were healthy, a home filled with love, a garden that fed the family, and neighbors who could count on one another—that was a life well lived. 


Somewhere along the way, we were taught that “enough” wasn’t enough. Bigger became better, busier became admirable, and contentment somehow became mistaken for settling. But perhaps true abundance has never been found in owning more. Maybe it’s found in gathering around the dinner table, baking bread in a familiar kitchen, hearing laughter echo through the house, and ending the day with a grateful heart.


How beautifully freeing it is to realize that the richest life may not be the one with the most things—but the one with the most peace. πŸŒΏπŸ’›


24 comments:

  1. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. Today, nostalgia is remembering the last selfie you took.

    Praying for Sam and all of you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I agree that they've taken away all those things. I also think there were alot of grandmothers who weren't content, they really had no choice. My Grandmother loved the time she got to work outside the home during the War. She said that was her favorite time and when it was gone, she missed it. I do think some people are never satisfied and keep buying the newest thing and chasing the new shinny object. But, as I think of the people I know, they don't fit the description. We all cook, and always have. My house is 75 years old, the furniture is old, we have 2 used cars etc. I think the article is painting people with too broad of a brush. LOVED all your old photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so interesting how times have changed as social media TV etc. have bombarded us with dissatisfaction with what we have and the "need" to have more and better.
    I am grateful for many things that do make life more easy and convenient though.
    Our Grands and Great Grands really worked hard . Grateful for what I have and for what our forefathers did.
    Really a great post today Shug. Lots to think about.
    Enjoy your 4th.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I never thought of it this way. But this is so TRUE! And so beautifully written! Your header is great. The old stove looks like a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I dream of the days of my mother. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing my grandmothers. But now as a great grandmother I so relish that my mother was a simple list maker and taught me values you cannot by. I'm so thrilled you posted this. It just wonderful to read what we so desperately miss in our modern culture. Thank you, Shug. You have touched a nerve, and I must always be thankful of my upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom was a stay-at-home mom, and that is what I wanted to be as well. Even when life threw me a curveball, I still managed to stay home with my boys and NEVER regretted it. I'm happy I never bought into the lie that staying home and raising a family was unfulfilling. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for those memories. I still measure wealth by our pantry/fridge, moderate health, love of family/friends and so on. Wealth is not about money, that is for sure. Wishing you a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid I'm with Sandy. "I don't think I agree that they've taken away all those things. I also think there were a lot of grandmothers who weren't content, they really had no choice." A lot of us never fell for the trap of buying to impress other people. My mother was extremely hard working, and she was also extremely depressed until my sister and I were old enough for her to get a job and have enough money to buy a house she loved and enough money so she didn't have to scrimp and save for groceries. Great subject, food for thought, though! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sad how things have changed. I find myself longer for the good old days lately

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I would love to have lived in a quieter, simpler time, it really wasn't that....our great grandmothers and grandmothers had to work really really hard to keep the family and homefront going...no automatic washers and dryers, a wood cookstove, no electric appliances and most of them didn't or couldn't drive. They worked hard from sun up to sun down and then some...they made their family's clothes and ironed them with a flat iron heated on the wood stove. There was no other alternative, and clothes HAD to be ironed because there was no such thing as permanent pressed or polyester! They grew their own food and had to can it and preserve it any way they could...and bake the bread and cookies and pies and cakes from scratch. It tasted wonderful, but it was a LOT of work! It was a beautiful time and we treasure the things they left behind, but most of all the legacy of hard work, love and commitment to God and family. Would I want to go back and live like they did? Well, probably not since I enjoy these conveniences and air conditioning so much...but if that is all I'd ever known, I'd be thankful for what I had and I would do the very best I could. Some good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, this is so good; so thought-provoking. Even how it extends, far beyond her parent's farmhouse to my mother's tiny government kitchen. What would they think of today's shopping lists, the 'instant' meal stuffs we take for granted.
    Dreaming -- I wish I could wrinkle my nose and give my grandmother a day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shug, this is a wonderful post. Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw that on FB too. Definitely food for thought.
    Are you really taking a blog break from the 3rd to the 14th? Hope it's to do something fun if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I could post this and put it somewhere where the whole world could read it. Hmmm. How true this is and how it changed the lives of women forever.
    I will miss you while you are on your blog break. Maybe you are going on another trip - hope it is something good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How very true. Dissatisfaction is subtly encouraged. It used to be called 'keeping up with the Joneses' but now it's struggling to emulate the .lives of the rich and famous (or infamous)

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I was reading this I kept comparing my life with young children to the lives of my daughter-in-laws. One has chosen a career, while the other follows a more traditional path.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This reminds me of a line Dorothy says near the end of "The Wizard of Oz," Shug. "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look farther than my own backyard, because if it isn't there, I've never really lost it to begin with." Isn't that the truth! Blessings always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this. I wish every young person could read this and understand that life should just happen, not be curated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this post, Shug, and it's SO TRUE. Things changed dramatically since I was a kid and believe me, it's not all good. I think two parents working is not only hard on the parents, it's doggone hard for kids. Having things immediately adds to the problem. But these days, most families simply cannot make it on one salary. It's very sad to me. But it is what it is. Enjoy that blog break! Prayers for you and Sam continue each morning and each night. Blessings to all. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great message, with so much truth in it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you've found yourself on a deep path of thinking.

    I do things my grandparents taught me to this day and I love it. I also do things in my way and I love that too. It's a lovely blend that makes me smile from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shug, that's probably the truest piece of writing out there right now. And now, we scroll these phones and every other post is an ad with someone trying to sell us stuff. It's not even entertaining anymore. It's just all about money. Which is why all the women left home for a job, everyone is eating junk, in debt up to their eyeballs, sick, and in therapy...kids included. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

AC Woes in Texas.

  Well… I woke up around 1:00 a.m. thinking, “Goodness gracious… am I having hot flashes?” πŸ₯΅πŸ€£ Nope. Come to find out… our air conditione...