Friday, October 18, 2024



Crazy how the slightest temperature drop creates a big draw to the grocery store!  And hey...the stores know exactly what to put out front when these temps do drop.  People are rushing in for COMFORT food ingredients.  


Hearty Cravings:  Oh yes...for beginners, I cooked a HUGE pot of Homemade Chili.  (Mable's Chili is what my family refers to it as)

For a bit more comfort....why not give the family a choice.  Frito pie! Chili and Rice bowl!

Chili Dog! Or..just Chili and crackers!  After all, Chili is the quintessential cool-weather dish.  It is so versatile and can be eaten in so many different ways...  The hotdogs were mostly because I knew the kiddos would want one. 

Why such a Huge pot of Chili?  I made extra to go in the freezer. 



Location:  I loaded up my car with all of the good smelling comfort food,  and headed over to our oldest daughter's house.  She has a wonderful fire pit on her back porch, so what better thing to do after filling up on chili?

Make S'mores!!


Desserts:  Absolutely!  For those of us who do not care for S'mores, the only solution would be to serve APPLE-CINNAMON crescent rolls.  

and a few Chocolate-chocolate cup cakes for the kids.  

What is an apple-cinnamon crescent roll without whipped topping?  Got to have the whipped topping.  

Oh my goodness!! The delightful combination of  the sweet caramelized apples, wrapped in the flaky, buttery, crescent rolls, and covered with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and seven up!  It doesn't get any better than this.  





Miscellaneous:  Two trips to the Grocery store.  A few hours in the kitchen.  Dirty Dishes - One load was in the dishwasher and another 1/2 load was waiting for the next wash.  My kitchen smelled so good with the Apple-cinnamon dessert cooking in the oven.    Possibility of gaining a few pounds.  


We definitely  welcomed the cooler weather last evening.  


                                  Morning Sunrise!





 

Shug.... 🍏




 

14 comments:

  1. I worked in various positions within the grocery industry for over 30 years, and you are right, they do cater to fall and comfort foods this time of year but highlighting and grouping ingredients for things like chili, pumpkin pies and desserts together in one display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..Jim, and I always load up on the pumpkin pie making ingredients.

      Delete
  2. Yum!!!!! Thanks for sharing, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home must smell SO amazing! And now I am so hungry. I wish we lived next to you! Your header is outstanding, you did an amazing job on it. It is colorful and uplifting, makes me happy just to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it did smell pretty awesome yesterday. just the smell of cinnamon and apples was wonderful. Thank you Ginny...I love doing the header photos.

      Delete
  4. Your caramelized apple dish is making my taste buds swoon! I've been thinking about chili for a good while now, but trying to make myself wait for cooler weather.

    PS - So, I don't spy any beans in there, right? Amazing the good-natured feuding that goes on over here. (But we're still in the no-beans camp.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Bean! But funny you should mention that. I do have some left over pinto beans in the ref. When we got home, Sam said...we should have put the left over beans in the chili... nope

      Delete
  5. I'm hungry, and this post was dangerous :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kathy...it was all so good...especially since the weather was cool.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a perfect Fall day!
    I made chili last week too, no Smores though, and they sound good. So do the apple cinnamon crescents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mari...the apple cinnamon crescents were so good....I served a little dab of whipped cream on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your header - how do you do that almost every day?
    Your chili looked delish! And all your desserts looked so good. I bet your kitchen smelled like Heaven. You are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love chili in both fall and winter, Shug. It is a star comfort food for me! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Pumpkin Carving

  PUMPKIN CARVING.   Pumpkin Carving is a fun tradition that creates family bonding, creativity, and just a touch of spooky fun.  For Sam an...