Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"This Old House"

In our area, in our neck of the woods......living small is something that you don't see a whole lot of these days.

Not that everyone has loads of money....but when it comes to homes, most of them are spacious.

 The average home (around here) has a total living space of around 25oo square feet.    You will find some that have around 1200 square feet, but most houses are 2500 and up, up, up and up!!      Space seems to be the big thing.

Most people, when looking for a house to buy, are mostly interested in having a big kitchen.    I find this humorous since most folks around here eat out numerous times a week, including us.




I'd say that a large kitchen is the thing to have......well, at least a little bit bigger than this one.

Most of us have utility rooms that are bigger than this kitchen!!

The land in the header photo is a picture of the land which Trista and her family are building their new home on.    The dirt work is going to start in about a week.    But first, the old wooden framed house has got to be knocked down.
(I know that there must have been a lot of good memories for those who once lived in this old home)


Today, I rode out to the land with Trista and Tori.   After much begging, I finally got out of the car and went inside the old, run down, house.  I honestly can not believe that I took one step inside......especially since there are have been many sightings of a panther around and in that area.   (I'm going to estimate that this house is at least 50, maybe 60, 70 years old)


This is what I would call a very simple home!  Who knows....way back then, it may have been a mansion!!

Take a look with me....


In this photo, I'm standing in the family room.  This was a vent for the old wood burning stove.   Behind the brick is a small bedroom.


The kitchen....!!   I  sure wish that I had taken a picture  of the other wall....but you see,  I was standing at the other wall.....
Very Small Kitchen!


Area that connects both bedrooms and the bathroom!


Sorry.....this picture turned out blurry!!

The ceiling of the back bedroom...


And.....this is it!!

Within the next week or so, this house will be demolished and before long a brand new home will be standing in it's place.....

folks......we have sure come a long way in life.   This family lived in this simple little home and I am sure that not only did they have all that they needed, but they were probably very happy and content.


A picture of Tori walking, on the back part of the land....

Hope you enjoyed my tour of "This Old House"

Shug





7 comments:

  1. Test.....Checking comment access.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have indeed enjoyed this very much! I bet you wonder right along with me about the people who lived here. Their hardships, their hopes and dreams. I am so glad you went inside! Let's hope that panthers are very shy! Today you have everything green, glorious green! I LOVE waiting to see what your color and header of the day will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to see what people lived in back then. Progress is good,if it means having better homes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There, Yes, someone at one time lived in and enjoyed that little house. I have a very good friend who grew up VERY poor. He has showed pictures of his old house and it would have reminded you of the one you saw... BUT--there was love in that home and he has great memories of growing up there. He was lucky, in that he got out of the area, went to college and became an engineer.. He has done well...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see old abandoned houses, I always have to wonder about the lives of those who had lived there. I hope they were good, happy lives! I do hope the panthers in that area go away and don't bother your family when they move there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If those walls could talk... ;) I know their new home will be beautiful! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shug!

    I love little houses! There is a song that Doug Stone sings, it's called, "Little Houses" and it's always been a favorite of mine. Part of it goes something like,

    ...love grows best in little houses, With fewer walls to separate,Where you eat and sleep so close together.You can't help but communicate,Oh,and if we had more room between us, think of all we'd miss. Love grows best, in houses just like this.

    In my opinion, houses are so large these days that everyone is always in a different room, doing their own thing...that includes me! We have room enough for 2 families! One of the things I love about my camp trailer, is that there is only one room...and we have so much fun in that little space! Not a day goes by when we are traveling in it that I don't learn something new about my sweet husband!

    Wonderful post - and I hope that panthers stay away from your sweet daughter and her family!!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Easter Dessert

  No-Bake Strawberry Crunch  Cheesecake! I think I will.....I think this is the perfect dessert for my Easter Lunch! I mean seriously ..... ...