Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Never Caught Anything From An Apron....But Love

"The History of The Apron"



Check out the size of a "Medium" back then...... 14-16




I don't think our kids even know what an Apron is.....

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few and because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons required less material. But along with that, it served as a pot-holder for removing hot pans from the oven


It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.


From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.


When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.


And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.


Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.


From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.


After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.


In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.


It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.


REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.


I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love...



Shug Sez......

Many Thanks and a lot of warm Hugs to my cousin "Judy Gray" who let me borrow the content of my Post! 

12 comments:

  1. I love aprons! I gave my sister one for Christmas. They have some really cute aprons at Anthropologie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me of those aprons - they were so important back in the day and wish they could be the same today. I have several, but never think to wear one. Saw in a magazine where you could tie them on the back of chairs. It was pretty cool! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post, Shug. You are so right about the germs and the uproar that would bring from the germ police now! LOL. I remember my mother and grandmother wearing them. My grandmother had Thanksgiving at her house until she was in her 80's and always put on her best apron for the occasion. I've rarely ever worn one, but I'm not sure why...they are so useful. Think I'll go find one. Take care, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have worn one last night because I made a mean SMOTHERED STEAK dish!!! Yeah, aren't you proud of me, mom. Most of my family loved, all but my one finiky eater. I did not even ask mom how to make it, just tried to remember how she did it when we were growing up. I was so domesticated that I REALLY needed an APRON. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cutie, This doesn't remind me of a grandmother --but it DOES remind me of my mother. Mama wore aprons just like some of those. I think I may even have a picture of her somewhere with an apron on..... SO--I loved this post. Thanks for the memories...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mother-in-law used to wear one all the time. When she passed on my Father-in-law gave them to me.
    Love them!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shug!

    I love aprons, I am so glad they are making a comeback! I have a little granddaughter who is blind, she uses aprons all the time - I have some cute fabric just waiting for me to cut out and sew her a new one! I love the history of aprons- very cute, and true! I don't think I saw my grandmother without an apron except on Sunday, and then it was the last thing she took off before walking out the door to go to church!

    Fun post!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at apron! I love those vintage apron patterns, I don't have either but will be on the hunt now! Lovely blog, thanks for stopping by mine so I could find yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post and I still have some of my grandmothers aprons. Some that I can remember her wearing even. Thanks for stopping by my post and good luck with WW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Granny Walden would never be caught without her apron. She had many. Boy, do those patterns sure bring back some memories!!!

    I'm just not an apron kinda chick! :o)

    Ya'll have a wonderfully blessed weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love aprons, too. I only have one and Seth makes fun of me when I put it on. I usually only do when I am cooking something messy, like fried chicken. I wish I had more aprons. I should be on the look-out for some. That would be an interesting thing to make a collection of. :) Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this post!! I have a old apron that belonged to my grandma. She made it from an old apron that my great grandmother had. After it became tattered and worn she cut it apart and used it as a pattern. I now use hers as pattern for my new aprons. One year I made aprons for my girls teachers as Christmas gifts.I love aprons!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Easter Dessert

  No-Bake Strawberry Crunch  Cheesecake! I think I will.....I think this is the perfect dessert for my Easter Lunch! I mean seriously ..... ...