Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Letting Go

 Letting go of sentimental items can be quite challenging, because these items often hold emotional significance and memories.  Loving sentimental items is a natural way to cherish and honor the meaningful experiences and relationships in our lives. 


I happen to be one of those people, who is very sentimental about things from the past.  And it looks like I have passed this down to my daughters. 



My dad was a builder by trade.  He built many homes for people.  But...he also loved building anything that any of his kids or grandkids needed or wanted. 

 When our daughters first began teaching, they needed book shelfs for their rooms.  The very best builder that they knew, just happened to be their grandfather.  All they had to do was say "Papaw, I need this" and it was a done deal.  

Not only did he build book shelfs, but he built podiums for the girls to use in their teaching, and for our youngest daughter, he built her a tree house for her classroom.  The Kids loved this.  It wasn't but maybe a couple of feet off of the ground floor, but our daughter made a tree out of all kinds of material, and when this project was all done, it was as if you were really in a treehouse.  This was her reading corner for the kids. they all enjoyed their reading time in a treehouse!!

Over the years, both of our daughters have moved on in their teaching careers.  They are no longer in a classroom where they need the items my dad built for them.  But....what to do with all of these things??  

They could leave them for other teachers to use, but the sentimental side of them is not ready to give them up.  

I'm guessing they will go in the storage building and perhaps someday, one of their kids will be able to use them.  


Why do things become so sentimental?  In our case.... These things were built by my dad's hands.  They are important because of the LOVE he poured in to them, to make his granddaughters happy.  They embody my dad's skills and his uniqueness in the way he built things.  

Even though they are just wooden items, these items were built very well, and can be passed down through other generations.  We look at them as a sense of family history, which connects us to our  heritage.  


I wish I had photos of the items my dad built for them, but they are still in their old classrooms at school.  


Are you Sentimental??  Or do you Let Go?


Blessings,

Shug 📕


5 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, another great post Shug!!!! It made me cry!!! I am blessed to have some of the items my grandpa Sam made for our family. I am sentimental!!!

    What a blessing to all the children that were touched by your daughters love and teaching and the extra LOVE put into it all by Papaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard for me to let go, too. We are all such emotional beings. One thing I read is that if you really need to get rid of something you don't want to, take a picture of it to keep. But I can't even get that far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can let go of some things, others are very hard. Your Dad sounds like he was a handy man with skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special thing for your dad to do by making a tree house for your daughter's classroom, and also bookshelves. I'm sure so many children loved reading their stories in there. Your post hit home for me, cause my father-in-law made a doll house for the girls when they were little, but with all the moves and through the years, I gave it away. But sometimes I wish I hadn't. Yes, I'm sentimental of old and beloved things that were passed on to me. It's nice to hear that you are also, Shug. I guess we just have to figure out which things to keep, and which to let go. But like you said, sometimes we're not ready to give them up. I think that tree house is a keeper. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often describe myself as "senti-mental" because I find it difficult to part with items linked to my childhood or family. I currently reside in my late parents' home, and while I didn't grow up here, I sense their presence all around me. It brings me comfort, especially during those challenging years following their passing. The trees my dad planted have grown tall, my mom's flowers continue to bloom, and the pond and waterfall my dad constructed now teem with fish, always bringing thoughts of my dad to mind.

    Yes, I understand the sentimental attachment. As it happens, I am the sole surviving member of my family. I have inherited my parents' belongings, as well as those of my sister and her daughter. If an item doesn't hold a memory for me, I might pass it on to someone who can cherish it more than I can. Nonetheless, if there's a strong connection to a cherished memory, I prefer to hold onto it.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Red, White, and Blue

  The 4th of July, also known as Independence Day, is a cornerstone of American culture and history.  It is certainly a day of national prid...