Sunday, July 7, 2024

Quinceanera

 A Quinceanera!


Have any of you ever attended a Quinceanera?  A traditional celebration in many Latin American Cultures that marks a girl's 15th Birthday.  It symbolizes her transition from childhood to womanhood. 



We were recently invited to, and we attended  the Quinceanera in Honor of this young lady.  
She is the granddaughter of the lady (Lola) who takes care of my Father-in-law.  

What an exciting evening this was and it is always interesting to see celebrations from other cultures.  


Lola, My Father-in-law, and Lola's daughter Lupe.

Months of preparation is involved in organizing such an event.  First of all, the search for an elaborate gown is priority.  Then there is the selection of the Court of Honor.  This is usually a group of friends and family members, and they are chosen by the Quinceanera, to accompany her.  

There is also the planning of a Religious Ceremony.  
A catholic mass, called the Mira de Action de Gracias.  This is held to give thanks and receive blessings.  Symbolic gifts are presented..... such as a tiara, cross, or bible.  


Lavish decorations, usually color-coordinated with the gown, in which the Quinceanera has selected, make the reception venue look exquisite. 

There is a grand entrance and the Court of Honor follows.  

Traditions for this particular Quinceanera included, "The Last Doll"......which was given to symbolize the end of childhood. 
The changing of the shoes.  The Father and a significant male figure changes the quinceanera's flat shoes to high heels, to symbolize her transition to womanhood.  
And....the Waltz.  A traditional dance with her father, followed by a series of dances with her court and guest.  


We felt very honored to have been invited.
The food was Awesome......all home cooked!!
BBQ, rice, beans, fresh homemade tortillas, corn salsa, and a whole lot more.  


Not to mention the music!!
We do not speak or understand Spanish, but the music was very important to this event.  
Not only the music, but there were pyrotechnics as well.   Of course...they were all very safe.  

Trista and Emily enjoying this event


Sam and Me!!
Look at the cake behind us!!


at the age of 95, Sam's dad was sure enjoying himself.    Of course, he also loved having his oldest granddaughter (Trista) taking pictures with him.  

If you ever get the opportunity to attend one of these, please do.  I was so very impressed!!

Shug.....💙










11 comments:

  1. I am very familiar with the Quinceanera celebration. One of my best friends growing up was Mexican, and I learned many traditions from her. Your friend looks lovely in her blue dress, and I've never seen a more grand gown for this occasion. Love all the BLUE in the decorations. The blue table cloths are elegant and so pretty. And a cute picture of you and Sam. I like the dress you're wearing in bright colors! A special day for them to always remember.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard the name, but knew almost nothing about it. WOW, that GOWN!! And I had thought the tablecloths matched it! First time I have ever seen that. You look both adorable and beautiful!!!! I love your dress, and it looks Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ginny...I chose the dress because I felt like it would be great for the event. However, I didn't realize that this particular Quinceanera was semi formal

      Delete
  3. Yes. Having grown up in San Francisco and the peninsula, they are very popular.
    Two of my cousins married girls from San Salvador. A quinceañera is like a First Communion on steroids! . I’ve heard they can cost as much as a wedding! It’s a wonderful tradition. The gowns, the food, the music. Quite the affair!
    You are so beautiful and your dress is gorgeous! Nice picture of you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby....you are so kind...Thank you for the compliment. It is my understanding as well, that many of these events cost a lot of money.

      Delete
  4. Oh Shug, what a fabulous event! The young girl's gown is splendorous. Your description of everything was terrific. Wow, what an event! I wonder if they had mariachi music! I LOVE mariachis. I am so happy you could attend.
    Thank you so much for your visits to Writing Straight from the Heart and your comments, as well. It is wonderful to have to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting event that I've never heard of before. I really like how you described it in special words and great photos.
    I really enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness...all for turning 15 years old! Seems like a lavish gathering. Nothing like that happens up here. Thanks for sharing the adventure! You and Sam look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Thank you for sharing this wonderful celebration! I have heard of this, but have not attended one. Everything looks and sounds beautiful. Congratulations to the lovely young lady! Have a cozy afternoon, my new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. Our neighbors have been practicing dancing for one of these celebrations. I see them in the afternoon and the young lady has a big hoop dress bottom on. :-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never heard of the custom of Quinceanera until we became snow birds in Miami Beach area for 1/2 of the year. Although I never attended one, I frequently see photographers staging phots in parks. Initially, I was so curious since I couldn't figure out what it was for. I really enjoyed your post because I didn't know much about the Quinceanera and all the customs. So interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

First Week of October

  My first week of October has been a bit difficult, but how could I even bother to complain, knowing all of the devastation over in the Ash...