Wednesday, March 13, 2024

How I got my Name

 How I got my name......I thought many of you might be interested in knowing my story,....... how I got the name of Shug,

My parents gave me a name that I went by for 18 years.  "Anita Lynn."  I wasn't named after anyone in our family...My mother just happened to love the name Anita.  Then, in the early 70's.....I became Anita Lynn Pollard when I married Sam.  

It wasn't until 1996 that my name really changed.  Tyler, our oldest grandson gave me the name of "Sugar!"  Then our second grandson, Tucker came along and he continued calling me Sugar until he entered Kindergarten and Tyler entered his 3rd year in elementary.   

I kept both of these boys each day,  until each of them started school.  Then, I became the Librarian at our local elementary school where they both attended.  When my grandsons would come to the Library, they naturally called me Sugar, but I'm guessing they may have been teased a bit for calling me Sugar, so Shug was what they changed my name to.  Then, their friends began calling me Shug.  The next thing I know, all the kids at the school decided that I would be their Shug as well.  (Isn't that so sweet?)

So.....the principal and the teachers began calling me Shug.  Before long, I was known to the parents of all those kiddos, as Shug.  

Almost all of the older people who knew me at one time as Anita, are no longer living, which means that now,  Everyone in our Area only knows me as Shug.  I would venture to say that most of them do not even know that I have the legal name of Anita.  They only know SHUG!

Now....I do have 4 other grandkids and 2 of them call me SUGAR, which is what I prefer, but...I've been Shug to the others for so long, that this is the name that has stuck on me. 

If you call me Sugar, that is fine.  If anyone calls me Shug, that is fine as well.  I am happy with both!!   My friends call me Shug, my cousins call me Shug, my brothers call me Shug, even my doctor calls me Shug.  Everyone calls me Shug!!

I have engraved charms with "Sugar" on them, but I also have charms with "Shug" on them.  I have many drawings made by the grandkids written in the cutest handwriting saying: TO SUGAR.  But I also have lots of artwork the kids gave me and they are written,  TO SHUG.   Does this make it somewhat legal?  lol. 😁😁😁😁

I had once thought about having my name legally changed, but since my mom and dad loved the name Anita Lynn, I decided to leave it as that.  

 I once told Sam, that he just needs to make sure that the name (Sugar, Shug) is also engraved on my tombstone along with my legal name........otherwise, people may think he had a secret wife!  ha! ha!


The name Anita means:   Grace

The name Sugar means:  Sweet natured person

The name Shug means:  intelligence mind also slang for Sugar


All of these are neat!!

So, now you know why my name is Shug...aka Sugar!

Enjoy all of the Blessings that this day brings!

Shug.... πŸ’œ

5 comments:

  1. I love your story! It is as sweet as you are. I think Shug is really your "heart" name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a truly wonderful way to be named. πŸ™‚ I think everyone should be re-named by their grandchildren. It should be a tradition! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that Shrug is slang for Sugar. I would never have connected the two. What a cute story about your nickname. Anita is such a pretty name, so think your wise to leave that your legal name even if everyone calls you Shrug. I popped in from a mutual friends blog, it's always fun to meet new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post... I had no idea and did wonder about your name. ;-) I LOVE this story!!!! What a fun family you have and community!!! And doctor!!!
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Positive Vibes

Positive vibes today!!    🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼 Look at this cutie!!  Is it a Baby owl? No way!!  that would make for a very small baby owl.   I was ou...