Monday, September 15, 2014

Discipline....Switches....and Santa Clause

Adrian Peterson.....   
Minnesota Vikings.....

? ? ? ?    Big news right now!


I can not believe that I'm even attempting to address this!!  This is a topic that COULD get me in trouble with those who have their own opinion on discipline.

Who of us can really pass judgement when in fact none of us have actually seen the whelps or bruises that were reported on Mr. Peterson's child... In NO WAY would I attempt to say that this is a right or wrong case......    Age does have it's own roll to play in this.



Even if the peaches were not clinging to this tree.....I can assure you that I would know that this was a peach tree.  Why?  Because I am all too familiar with the limbs.

Oh wow.....when I was growing up, a switch off of the "old peach tree".....would most certainly make me....walk a straight line!

My grandmother knew how to use one and I can tell you that ALL of us KIDS.......Knew she meant business, when she went to get one off of the tree.

I know that there are some extreme cases and believe me, I have hurt in my heart for kids who have had to endure any kind of abusive punishment.   But, for the most part.......kids are not disciplined ENOUGH.

"He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."
                                                         Proverbs 13:24

Correction shows us that we are not above reproach and that we are accountable for our actions.

I am a believer that children should NEVER receive lacerations from physical discipline, nor should they suffer from any kind of abusive punishment.  However, we do need to teach them that their own disobedience requires correction!!!  By doing so.....we are teaching our kids how to respect not only their parents, but others who have authority.  RESPECT.......  Kids are not born with it.....Respect MUST be taught!!!

I can't believe that Santa Clause has not been indicted for cruel and unusual behavior!   REALLY...!!    After all, if you're naughty, then it's a bag of switches you get.    I know a lot about this....I once received a "Bag of Switches!"   lol....my dad thought it was extremely funny, and it was!  Turned out to be a WONDERFUL Christmas!  I received lots of packages that year!

Funny thing, the laws of today would have landed my parents, my grandmother, aunts and uncles all in the "PEN" because, they DID use a "Peach limb" on all of us kids!!!  Turns out....we all are fine and our wisdom is great.  We all were taught from the Book of Love and it was called discipline!

Whew....hope I still have friends!

Hugs Y'all......
Shug ~

5 comments:

  1. I agree, Shug! An old fashioned spanking that is NOT done in anger is how we raised our son. I think this is why a lot of kids have no respect now and are not afraid of ANY authority!! There is too much concern about bruising the fragile child's ego!! Children need strict limits and even the bible tells us this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! I see too many examples of children who are left to figure what's right or wrong on their own. I really would rather not have children on the bus who are not receiving discipline.
    Well spoken words my friend. We need more people like you who are not afraid to stand up for what is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You most definitely still have this blog friend. I agree with you on this and am glad I happened down my dashboard in time to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shug!

    I totally agree - you couldn't of said it better! Discipline, shown through love, truly shows a child that they are loved, that someone cares enough about their future to teach them correct principles. I never heard that Santa would give you switches, just coal! It must be a Southern thing?!

    Well said, Shug!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about the younger generation because they are the ones who don't discipline. BUT--I am another one who totally agrees with you. I see too many undisciplined kids with total lack of respect for anyone. They NEED discipline, and sometimes, it can't just be hollering at them or using abusive language. They NEED a swat on the butt!!!!!

    My Daddy had a paddle --and we even had a 'cloak room' in school back when ---where the teacher would use the paddle when needed. Kids BEHAVED....

    With my own kids, my ex-hubby used his belt with our boys --and it worked. All he had to do was to start taking it off..... ha.....

    BUT--there are younger adults (for some reason) who don't EVER spank their children.. The kids are horribly behaved because of it I think....

    Funny that your Daddy gave you a bag of sticks for Christmas... Bet he got a kick out of that!!!!!! ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Sunday Thinking

  Happy St. Patricks Day!   🍀 Tomorrow, I will be filling my hummingbird feeders.  The little beauties should be arriving any day now.  I a...