Sunday, September 8, 2013

It's Pear Season and I'm Looking for a Recipe!

Good Morning to all.....

Happy am I, because it feels GREAT outside this morning....By noon, I'll probably be singing a different tune. It is suppose to be close to a 100 degrees!

It sure felt great, being able to have coffee outside this morning with my sweetheart!!

It's Pear Season......

Our family loves Pear Relish!!  This relish is wonderful on just about anything, but it especially makes for a super great topping on fresh peas. 

It has been a couple of years since I have made any......and the sad thing is.....I have misplaced my recipe!!!   So....I am hoping that some of you will be able to come to my rescue.

Does anyone have a recipe for it????
My old recipe called for.....Mustard, onions, pears, red and green Bell Peppers....Turmeric and more.    


Who knows what I have done with this old recipe!!  When our girls were small, we had an older black lady that came and helped me around the house....Mrs.Hart was the sweetest lady and she is the one that first introduced us to this delicious relish.  

If any of you have the recipe....I would 
love to borrow it from you!!

In the mean time, I'll keep looking for mine.   My Pears are on the counter, so I'm guessing I had better find it soon.

Blessings on this wonderful Sunday....
shug

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry you lost it. Do you have a pear orchard nearby? What kind of trees does Sam tend? BUT, my favorite here today are those gorgeous glass pears!!! Where did you get them, Pier 1? I guess our cats would make quick work of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find it, I hope you will share it! We have pear trees on our farm and I never quite know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shug, thanks so much for coming by Granny Mountain today and your words of comfort. I'm sorry you are going through this with your Dad, you understand all too well. I do have a recipe for the pear relish... may not be the one you are searching for but it has some of the ingredients.
    Pear-Pepper Relish
    from The Great American Hot Dog Book

    This makes about four cups of relish. The relish will keep in a tightly sealed container, refrigerated, for several weeks.

    4 Bartlett pears
    2 large onions
    2 green bell peppers
    1 red bell pepper
    1 jalapeño (feel free to use a spicier pepper)
    Boiling water, a few cups
    1.5 C sugar
    2.25 tsp mustard seeds
    .75 tsp ground allspice
    .25 tsp ground cinnamon
    .75 tsp turmeric
    1 Tbl salt
    1.5 C white vinegar
    .5 C water
    Chop the first 5 ingredients and put in a large colander. Over the sink, pour the boiling water over the chopped ingredients. Drain thoroughly and add to a large stock-pot.

    In a medium bowl combine the sugar, seeds, spices and salt. Add the dry mixture to the stock-pot and mix thoroughly with the chopped ingredients.

    Add the vinegar and water and bring everything to a boil. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Your house will smell delicious. When the relish is cooked to your liking, remove from the heat and allow to cool before refrigerating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No----can't help you with the recipe. Hope you find it. Have you googled it.. There are usually lots and lots of recipes online. Maybe you find just the right one...

    I do have some Hot Tea which is made from pears and it is awesome... Such a fabulous flavor...

    Hope you have had a good week. I certainly have.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you may have found a winner! I've never had pear relish, but it sure sounds like something I would enjoy. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Easter Dessert

  No-Bake Strawberry Crunch  Cheesecake! I think I will.....I think this is the perfect dessert for my Easter Lunch! I mean seriously ..... ...