Thursday, May 30, 2013

An Explosive Sweet Taste.......

Hey Y'all........

They have arrived......They being what I consider to be the ultimate Summer 

Refresher of all times!  I'm speaking of a home-grown....East Texas Watermelon!

Tell me now......Who doesn't just love to sink their teeth into a cold, juicy, watermelon??

They're so rich in color and they have an explosive sweet taste that soothes every taste bud

in one's mouth.  

Mylee Jo....was grinning from ear to ear, when her Pops announced that he had just cut 

her a nice slice of a red watermelon, yesterday......   As you can tell from the photos above, 

she loved every single bite of this scrumptious tasting watermelon.  Oh, BTW....she also 

enjoyed spitting the seeds!!

I have always loved watermelons.  I grew up around the watermelon fields and for this 

reason....I know all about the satisfying flavor of these delicious green, oval shaped balls.

My grandfather ALWAYS grew several acres of melons each summer.  Gosh...this really

made me feel special....just knowing, come June each year,  we could have a watermelon 

every single day, throughout the summer months.

I have many memories involving those watermelon fields.....Memories of how SWEET

it was to help pull the melons and occasionally drop one.....which would cause us to have

to eat it right there....out in the field.   (hey....I couldn't help it if the salt shaker may have

accidentally fallen into my pants pocket, before leaving each morning to go to the field!!)

Big Wink....right here....  :)  I do love me some salt on my sweet melons!!



Have you had a taste of your first melon for the season yet???

Blessings  sweet friends...

Shug ~








7 comments:

  1. Yes, I love those ruby fruits, too! I remember sitting on the top step and spitting the seeds as far as we could, red juice dripping off our chins and onto our bare feet. They must be gonna have watermelon at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb in Heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love a good summer
    watermelon!
    Yum yum.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shug, I love a cold sweet watermelon also. AND---I put salt on mine also!!!

    We ALWAYS have watermelon on the 4th of July... TRADITION.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Texas watermelons are a real treat,even way up here in Manitoba.This is a wonderful summertime treat.We have watermelons shipped in from Texas by the truck load and they sell quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shug, you can make anyone love anything that you write about, honestly! I love all the pictures, but your header shot is amazing!!!! The freckles, and the juice running down her arms, it could be on the cover of a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Shug, I share your wonderful memory of watermelons straight out of the field... warm and oh, so sweet! And, yes, with salt! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watermelon is my FAVORITE! It cools you down instantly on a hot day. We used to put salt on ours too, but I no longer do that. What great memories you have!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Easter Dessert

  No-Bake Strawberry Crunch  Cheesecake! I think I will.....I think this is the perfect dessert for my Easter Lunch! I mean seriously ..... ...