Saturday, October 6, 2012

Puh-Cahns ..and loaded trees

What a great day this has been....the weather has been cool and there has been a slight breeze.  A perfect day to do nothing but relax.

When the weather starts to get cool, you know it's time for the Pecans to start dropping...Here in East Texas, the Pecan trees are so loaded down, and there has been a lot of huge branches falling to the ground, because of the extra weight.


Pecans are pretty pricey around here, which makes you want to gather every single pecan that can be gathered... 


The below picture is the way I prefer to get them....


Out of the shell !!!!

Nutritionally, the pecan is a concentrated source of energy...it's an excellent source of protein and is rich in 
B-Vitamins and minerals.


Chewy Pecan Pie Bars

1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour (divided)
Brown Sugar: 2/3 cup and 1/2 cup
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups chopped pecans

Grease 15-1/2 inch x 10-1/2 inch jelly-roll pan.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.   I  medium bowl with fork, mix baking powder,
1-1/2 cups four, and 2/3 cup packed brown sugar.  With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut butter or margarine into flour mixture until mixture resembles very fine crumbs.  Pat mixture firmly and evenly into prepared pan.  Bake about 10-12 minutes.

In large bowl with mixer at med speed, beat eggs until foamy.  beat in corn syrup, vanilla, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1/2 cup flour until well blended.  Pour egg mixture over partially baked layer; sprinkle with pecans.  Bake 30 to 40 minutes longer or until set.  Cool in pan on wire rack.  cut into small bars.

**

Few Free Tips....

***  store in freezer shelled or unshelled...

***   About 2-1/2 pounds of pecans in the shell yields 1 pound of shelled nuts, or about 4 cups.

***   Tight containers are necessary for storing pecans.

***   Shelled pecans should be allowed to dry before storing in airtight containers.

How do you pronounce it ????

Pee-Cans   or Puh-Cahns ???

Around here....It's Puh-Cahns.....

see y'all tomorrow!!!

Shug

8 comments:

  1. Hi Shug!

    Yum, I love Puh-Cagns!! Here in Idaho, the only nut we really grow is a black walnut, mostly a messy tree, but if you have the patience to pick them up, and clean them, the nut is pretty good! My hubby is allergic to tree nuts, so I only use them for myself, and I love to sprinkle liberally on my yummies. Enjoy!!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Puh-Cahns! This recipe sounds delish! I might have to try this one. Today I made something called a gooey pumpkin cake and it was wonderful! Happy Sunday to you, Shug!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably my favourite nut. I use them in many of my baked goods. Yummy. I will be trying the recipe you included.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the Midwest we say "pe-cans." Gotta love them.

    Loved your Fall Crush post! May have to borrow part of it.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore pecan pie. Your recipe sounds good. I will have to try it on my kids. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We like pee-cans up here in my part of the country! I love eating a few just out of hand - seems that putting them in a sugary recipe is sugar overload for me! Love the photos of seeing them on the tree - cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say puh-cahns! But, I might be in the minority around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the puh-cahn trees in Texas when my younger brother lived there. Yummy! The recipe sounds very tasty...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Sunday Thinking

  Happy St. Patricks Day!   🍀 Tomorrow, I will be filling my hummingbird feeders.  The little beauties should be arriving any day now.  I a...