Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Selective Hearing

This past week I found myself somewhere out in La, La Land while I was engaged in a conversation with a friend.
Later that day I had to  ask myself, Am I a Good Listener?  I thought I was but evidently I am not.  I could not remember much of what we talked about.

  Most of us think we are good listeners, but in reality our minds are actually in several different places and we only hear about fifty percent of what is being said.  I suppose it is called Selective Hearing.  If I am the one initiating the conversation, I can usually stay on track with what we are talking about.  I know that a lot of times I am guilty of preparing my response rather than focusing on what someone else is saying.

Is this rude or is it just part of being human?  I can certainly tell when a person is not fully in tune with what I might saying. To me it is the same as if they are saying "I'm busy, This conversation is not important to me,  I'm just not connecting with you".

There have been numerous times when I am introduced to someone and within seconds I can not remember their name.  Might I add that this can be very embarassing.  It's not that I don't care to know who they are, I am just not listening!

I have learned that if I will repeat that person's name as soon as they are introduced to me, I am more apt to remember them.  A lot of times I have to relate them with something else in order to remember their name.  As for as a conversation, if I will look them in the eye, my mind seems to stay more focused on the topic for which we are talking about. 

Listening is a gift we give to others as well as ourselves.  Many times God speaks to us through other people.  We must...I must have attentive ears to hear those important words that GOD wants me to hear.  I certainly do not want to miss out on what HE may be leading me to say or do.....

I hope that I will take the time to work on my listening skills and be a person that gives more than 50 percent.  If I practice it will not be hard and I am sure that those around me will be glad I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for Blessing me today with your comments...

Sunday Thinking

  Happy St. Patricks Day!   🍀 Tomorrow, I will be filling my hummingbird feeders.  The little beauties should be arriving any day now.  I a...